pitching to a producer.How is it done?

Don't even bother with the "working opportunity" bit right now. Write a kickass script and get it sold. Now you have your foot in the door. The odds are, you will not get to direct this script. If you're not okay with that, write some other scripts you are okay with selling outright. In the meantime, you can get experience directing. Make some short films. Get the skills you need. Then, maybe you'll have a shot at selling your big project AND directing it. And if that happens, they'll help get you over to the US if they really want you. But you need to give them a reason to want you.

Last edited:
Don't even bother with the "working opportunity" bit right now. Write a kickass script and get it sold. Now you have your foot in the door. The odds are, you will not get to direct this script. If you're not okay with that, write some other scripts you are okay with selling outright. In the meantime, you can get experience directing. Make some short films. Get the skills you need. Then, maybe you'll have a shot at selling your big project AND directing it. And if that happens, they'll help get you over to the US if they really want you. But you need to give them a reason to want you.

Yeah, that's excellent advice, I figured I do that.
Yes I'm not ready to give this script up, so I will try to write something else that I can let go.

Can I use this script to win some screen writing contests then use that success to sell other scripts I wrote? but not the one that already won? Will buyers only want the winner script or as long as you've won a contest they won't care about which script you want to give them?

Yeah, that's excellent advice, I figured I do that.
Yes I'm not ready to give this script up, so I will try to write something else that I can let go.

That's really bad logic. You have to put your best work out there first!!!!!!

Say you are a baker. And you have a kickass cookie recipe. But there are so many steps to make it to the big time, you decide to use a different recipe and save the kickass recipe for later... no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also you may think that script is the best thing since sliced bread. But once you get it out there you will have new "best ever" scripts. You may even look back and cringe! So just get it out there!

That's really bad logic. You have to put your best work out there first!!!!!!

Say you are a baker. And you have a kickass cookie recipe. But there are so many steps to make it to the big time, you decide to use a different recipe and save the kickass recipe for later... no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also you may think that script is the best thing since sliced bread. But once you get it out there you will have new "best ever" scripts. You may even look back and cringe! So just get it out there!

this script is really personal for me, I have tons of other ideas equally interesting but not as personal.

Can I use this script to win some screen writing contests then use that success to sell other scripts I wrote? but not the one that already won? Will buyers only want the winner script or as long as you've won a contest they won't care about which script you want to give them?
Winning some screen writing contests can boost your recognition
to agents and producers.

Buyers want the script that best suits their needs. A producer
may not want the winning script for many different reasons but
may want a script from you.

That's why we are all saying that having several scripts is a good
thing.

I disagree with indietalk's example; if you're a baker with a kick-ass
cookie recipe but you don't want anyone else making those cookies
it might be a good idea to come up with a different (also kick-ass)
cookie recipe to sell to others. Get your name out there, show your
recipes are liked by others then make those first cookies yourself.

pedramyz, since you want not only to direct but you want full creative
control and final cut all paid for by an American producer one way to
earn that very rare place in American film making is to show how
valuable you are. A few screenplay sales can help. A few short films
and a low budget feature as writer/director can help.

There isn't one path. Perhaps your current script will be seen by an
American producer who wants it bad enough to bring you to the U.S.,
hire you to direct and give you final cut. If you don't show the script
you can not get that opportunity.

Winning some screen writing contests can boost your recognition
to agents and producers.

Buyers want the script that best suits their needs. A producer
may not want the winning script for many different reasons but
may want a script from you.

That's why we are all saying that having several scripts is a good
thing.

pedramyz, since you want not only to direct but you want full creative
control and final cut all paid for by an American producer one way to
earn that very rare place in American film making is to show how
valuable you are. A few screenplay sales can help. A few short films
and a low budget feature as writer/director can help.

There isn't one path. Perhaps your current script will be seen by an
American producer who wants it bad enough to bring you to the U.S.,
hire you to direct and give you final cut. If you don't show the script
you can not get that opportunity.

Yeah I figured I follow your advice. I will start working on my other ideas to write a couple of scripts and also edit this current script to submit to contests the following year. I'm also looking for ways to gather some funds to make some shorts. But I have to figure out my priorities first. I think working on couple of good scripts comes first, and after I've done that I should start making shorts.

and about the final cut, to be honest I don't really know to what degree not having final cut privilege can affect your control over the movie. I've searched for directors who currently have final cut, among them is ridley scott, but there is no mention of david lynch or quentin tarantino ! Tarantino has demanded final cut for his upcoming feature, once upon a time in hollywood, and sony has agreed to his terms. But I haven't seen any mention of other final cut privileges in any of lynch's or tarantino's movies! So if they managed to make the final version of their movies look like that without the final cut, then I don't really need final cut.

Last edited:

It's so hard to get out there I'm more about putting your best out there first! Because it might not even be as good as you think, so then what is the second option going to be? :D

But he said because it is personal, so I get it more now.

is it bad?" what writer thinks his/her work is not good?

Most aspiring writers.

I can't be the judge of my own work.

For the majority or writers out there, if you're good, you'll know. The issue is a lot of bad writers also think they're good.

If your material is bad, if you put additional conditions/demands on your script, you may blow any chance for the relationship to bloom.

Obviously you don't want to. That's fine, but you don't need to be vindictive about it. Does stomping on rookies turn you on? Does it fuel your ego or does it help with the insecurity issues?

Wow. Who pissed in your milk?

It's probably a good idea... but on the other hand... you have someone interested in your current script.

There's nothing that says you have to accept an option offer if it is even offered to you in the first place.

You've started a relationship with a Producer, pitched them your idea which they like and now you're not even going to send them the script? You're going to attempt to send them another script that you haven't even begun writing...?

Why not just send an email along the lines of:
'Dear Producer. Following up on our conversation a few weeks ago, I've attached my script for you, thought you might like to read it. It's a very personal story for me and one I'd love to be able to make one day. Let me know your thoughts, Cheers'

You might never hear back. Don't overthink it, man. Yes, you should get all your ducks lined up, and you should have a number of scripts ready to go. But here's a potential opportunity you have. Send it off and see what happens - probably it will be nothing. All it takes is a response of 'great, I like your work, keep sending me stuff' and you've started a relationship with a Producer - who you can now send those 4-5 extra scripts you'll be working on.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Why not just send an email along the lines of:
'Dear Producer. Following up on our conversation a few weeks ago, I've attached my script for you, thought you might like to read it. It's a very personal story for me and one I'd love to be able to make one day. Let me know your thoughts, Cheers'

I told him I'm working on a 6th draft of my script. he asked for the logline, I told him the logline and he liked it. He said send it to me whenever it's ready. So i will send it to him when it's ready, but I'll probably send him an email saying something like what you just said.

Back