What to do...

Hello there! I'm new to this forum, so it's all a little confusing, but I'd like to introduce myself and present my problem...

You can call me Lucy. Actually, you can probably call me anything you want... it's just that Lucy is the most appropriate. I'm 16 and I live in the Southwestern Minneasota area. Since I was 7 years old I've been acting on stage in community theatre productions and some low-production short films. Right now, I'm looking into persuing acting more seriously. I love community theatre, and would be perfectly satisfied performing in that alone, but there are so few opportunities in my area that I don't have a proper outlet. I'm looking to expanding my horizons a little bit and participate in "nearby" professional theatres or preferably films.

I don't want to act as my career- at least not at this time in my life. For me, acting is a hobby that I really love doing and when I need to, I take the work seriously enough to work with. I enjoy the whole performance project- from thinking up an idea, to getting a script, to auditioning and shooting, and finally performing the finaly piece of work to an audience. I guess you all probably don't care, but for reference, I want to be in the business because I like acting as a hobby. As much as I wouldn't mind a paycheck, it's not an absolute necessity. It isn't what I'm looking for.

However, even though I know what I want, I don't know how to look for it. I need jobs that are relatively close to home and cost me very little money wise. I don't need to get paid, but I can't afford to pay for accomodations all of the time. Would you suggest sending my headshot to casting directors or agents? If so, how would I contact them or learn more about them? Also, which cities might have the most opportunities? Both Chicago and St. Louis are nearly 10 hours away- which is a long drive for an audition. (this is really the problem, isn't it?) Are there any regular newspapers that post casting calls and information that would lead me to a casting director that might be interested in my headshot and resume?

I'm really looking foward to possibly having the opportunity to be in an independent film or professional theatre or something of the sort. I also wonder if there are many vocie-over/audio drama opportunities in the area...

Anyway, thank you all for listening to a total newb! I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you!!

Lulu

Welcome to indietalk Lucy! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Wow, hard to say where the part-time acting enthusiast jobs are. You've probably already done it but I'd start with the local theater people you already know. Ask them what think about local casting calls. Local arts paper maybe? Classified section of your newspaper?

'sup, good Lucy! :cool:

Sounds you're in a similar situation to myself. I act as a hobby, too. (well... if you can call my cheap hackery "acting", that is)

You certainly are in a bit of a catch-22, though... and you will stay there 'til you can resolve this:

I want to be in the business because I like acting as a hobby

You are never going to be in the business, while treating it like a hobby.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you... as I mentioned, my filmmaking "career" is simply a part-time/weekend thing that I work at, while having a lot of fun. It's an insane challenge. :)

I don't know how well being listed with a casting director or having an agent would work, if the nearest cities are 10 hours away. That would involve a lot of commitment (more than hobby, for sure) to drive out on a moment's notice for a casting call/audition so far away.

Are there any regular newspapers that post casting calls and information that would lead me to a casting director that might be interested in my headshot and resume?

I can't think of any newspapers or magasines offhand, but mandy.com & craigslist.org have many listings for casting calls in the TV/FILM/VIDEO section. (Some of them are kinda seedy, but fairly upfront about it at least). Pick a city closest to you.

It's fairly easy to get listed with a casting director... well, easier than getting an agent anyway. I bet you could find some in your region just googling. Just because you live far away from the big cities, doesn't mean there aren't local commercials and regional tv-shows being made for cable.

Maybe see what the scoop is down at the local cable station?

_______

I'll try to follow up with something else later.

:)

Welcome Lulu! Love your nic, I've an animated character named 'Lulu'.

It seems like you have some years of experience, at 16 , already. Have you considered the 'Children's Theater' at the Institute of Arts in Minneapolis? (I think they're still around) This organization seems to be a good proving ground and an avenue into local and national exposure (both media and theater).

Oh thanks so much, everyone! That's all really encouraging and imformative and helpful. I looked at the Childrens' Theatre in Minneapolis and it looks really good. I'm going to watch for auditions and consider auditioning. I have relatives who I might be able to stay with during the audition time, and I might be able to stay with them if I managed to get a part. I started doing musical theatre when I was really little. Lots of singing and dancing. Naturally, I studied singing for some time and took a little bit of ballet, but never really followed up on the dancing. And so, I always do really bad at the dancing part of auditions. I know I need to polish that up. :)

And now- questions that emphasize my total newbiness and shine my little newbie orb: What does a casting director even do with the people who he is in contact with? I thought that when they were casting a part that seemed to fit a particular person, he would contact that person and let them know of the audition... or at least something along those lines. Is it necessary then for the person to show up for the audition? I thought that with an agent, you had to go to every audition. I didn't want an agent, because having to go to each audition wouldn't work. I thought that a casting director would be a little more "flexible"... but you know, I really don't have a clue. Anyone want to fill me in? Thanks.

I'm glad you like my name, Bird. :)

Love,

Lulu

You should get an acting agent. They can help you along a bit further. If you enjoy acting pursue it, but make sure you have your back up plan ready to go.

There are a few independent filmmakers out there trying to a their break, just as an actor is trying to. It does take a lot of research, and those who have a strong desire can find things.

**marcel**

Marcel- if I had an agent, wouldn't I need to travel a lot to any auditions they wanted me to go to? I wouldn't mind traveling- I love traveling- I just can't afford it.

A city would be a good place to be living. I'm not too sure if you do, but if you live in a town or something you might have to wait till you graduate and move on to bigger adventures.

*marcel*

Yeah, I know that I might have to wait until I am older. There aren't a whole lot of parts for someone my age anyway. :)

But anyway, how does a casting director work? I mean, if they have your resume and all. Sorry if this is a really basic question with an obvious answer, but thanks for any help you can give.

Lu

'sup, good Lucy :)

_______

An agent represents select actors. There are only so many they can handle, and only so many of each "type". The agent makes their money by taking a skim off the top of what the actor makes... and it's in their interest to have actors that can hustle to any audition at the drop of a hat.

No point representing actors who can't keep that commission coming.

_______

I'm not entirely sure on the casting director part, but this is the way I see it. (and I hope anyone who knows more can embellish or correct)

The casting director works for the production. They need to fill the various parts, from principals to extras if need be.

The casting director can contact agents to secure certain actors. The casting director also contacts casting agencies to secure other actors/extras.

The casting director might own their own casting agency... but not always.

It is easier to get into a casting agency, than to get an agent. Typically (it seems) non-SAG/AFTRA actors pay a nominal fee to remain listed in an agency's wider pool of talent for the year. SAG/AFTRA actors can join the pool freely.

That's just what I gathered from a bit of recent researching... I've been thinking about doing this myself.

_______

:)

And now- questions that emphasize my total newbiness and shine my little newbie orb: What does a casting director even do with the people who he is in contact with? I thought that when they were casting a part that seemed to fit a particular person, he would contact that person and let them know of the audition... or at least something along those lines. Is it necessary then for the person to show up for the audition? I thought that with an agent, you had to go to every audition. I didn't want an agent, because having to go to each audition wouldn't work. I thought that a casting director would be a little more "flexible"... but you know, I really don't have a clue. Anyone want to fill me in? Thanks.

A casting director don't usually maintain a 'talent bank' - where he/she is assigned to do the casting for a project, the CD would contact the talents he/she worked with before and ask them to audition for the roles. Even if a casting director keeps a 'talent bank' - most likely the talents are in the Union. (SAG/AFTRA)
(98% that you will have to audition for a part in a film project. Unless you have connection, or already a big-name Union actor/actress)
If you are able to find your own auditions, then you probably don't need an agent. You can submit your headshot/resume directly to the Casting Director, and see if you will be contacted for an audition. (Or cast you base on your 'type')

If you are signed with an Agent, the agent will inform you with auditions of up coming shows or film project. You do have a choice to go or not to go to the audition. (Usually, an agent will drop you if you are not willing to travel or at least, attempt anyauditions)

When you go on an audition, you are audition in front of either the Casting Director, or the Director him/herself. For a lot of TV Series and Feature Film productions, the Casting Director perfer to work with an Agent or Casting Agencies to find talents. Casting Directors are most likely to work with a reputable Talent Agency that supples talent who shows up on time and work in a professional manner.

I want to be in the business because I like acting as a hobby

Well, I work two jobs. My regular day time job - and also, doing Acting/Modeling on the side. However, I don't consider my Acting career as a hobby. It is true that I couldn't work on a lot of projects during weekdays due to my day job - but I do take my Acting seriously. I went on all the auditions that my schedule allowed and made time for projects that I landed.

Based on the people that I know - 90% of the people that I've met on set, who considers "Acting" as a hobby only made it as Background/Extra actors. If you're happy with that, that's fine. But if you are looking to be a featured/supporting/lead roles in film/theatre, then you'll have to contribute a lot of time and energy to build up a resume/credits that will help you to land these roles.

You're still young. You've got plenty of time ahead of you. Instead of the word "Hobby" - I think you probably meant that you have an interesting/passion in acting.

*NOTE* If you do go on an audition, make sure you bring your parents along. The same applies when you go on interviews with a casting director or a talent agent.

Here are some articles/links that can check out (mandy.com and craiglist.org have been mentioned in previous post):

http://www.mnfilm.org/letterbox/2001summer/story4.asp

http://www.extrasformovies.com/casting_calls_auditions.asp

http://www.kidzworld.com/site/Work_It.htm

http://www.mntalent.com/

Best of Luck :)

Last edited:
Lucy,

I just saw an ad in the St. Paul, MN paper for a Native American Mystery movie to be filmed in the twin cities on Sep 6-7. It says: Open Casting : Aug 13 10am-1 pm at the Linwood Rec Center, 860 ST. Clair Avenue, St. Paul Call 651-224-8391

Back