Bad career move ... 2003

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
Which actor/actress took the biggest hit to their career in 2003 by choosing the wrong role? :blush:

It's easy to say Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, but I'm sure Affleck will rebound with Jersey Girl, and Jennifer will bounce back with her butt.

Poke

Danny Devito, the director, not the actor. With a string of flops like Matilda, Death to Smoochy, and 2003's Duplex, it seems like he's lost his earlier touch.

Poke

Did you see him in '25th hour'? - really bland and unimaginative. whether it was his acting or lee's directing I don't know... but something went wrong ;)

Russel Crowe - errrgghhh

On another note, and getting back on topic slightly, how did people find russel crowe in 'Master and Commander' - bad career move?

Re: Russel Crowe - errrgghhh

DeceptionA said:
I liked Death to Smoochy, but then again Edward Norton rules.

I liked it to, but it was still a flop.

Shot Renegade said:
On another note, and getting back on topic slightly, how did people find russel crowe in 'Master and Commander' - bad career move?

I don't think so, he did a good job, and it was a decent movie.

Poke

"Did you see him in '25th hour'? - really bland and unimaginative. whether it was his acting or lee's directing I don't know... but something went wrong"

I agree with you there, on the statement on 25th hour being bland. But, I don't think that was Edward Norton's fault.

I don't think all of his movies are great, but he usually does a good job acting.

I think the thing about norton is that he can only ever be type casted. I think some people might play off his style as just being 'ultra realist' but to me I don't think he's very versatile or that creative as an artist.

Harkening back to my thought on Bennifer, does anyone think that Jersey Girl will suffer because of the bad buzz surrounding the cutting of the wedding scene?

In other words, does anyone think Kevin Smith made a bad move to hire J.Lo when it was obvious the pair wouldn't last.

Poke

Any actor that earned six figures for turning up on set, didn't make a single bad career move this year.

If any of the above actors agreed to read your script, I'm sure you would be thrilled and if they agreed to work with you, it would automatically greenlight your picture. It's easy to knock other people's work and much harder to actually make pictures.

I don't like every movie that I see, however, I do appreciate the amount of hard work and commitment it took to make every single one of them.

Anybody interested in discussing the most innovative, interesting work of the year so far, instead?

So far, Lost In Translation does it for me, a really well written script, with good camera work and very subtle direction. More of these kinds of movies please.

It Takes a Series of...

FLOPS.

After years of being an entertainment journalist, I can tell you that it will take more than the Bennifer flop or anything that we have seen this year. It took Marlon Brando years to sink into the muck that the "Godfather" brought him out of, and John Travolta was still working when he got "Pulp Fiction" to be a so called come back, but trust me he was still racking in the dough.

In my life time only Geena Davis got tagged "Box Office Poison" after, making a bunch of movies with her then husband Renny Harlin. And as far as I can tell she is still stuck there. Remember her hosting the Oscar pre show a couple of years ago?

As Clive as said any of the names you guys have mentioned so far are still solid green light names. Of course the prices do go up and down based on performance and when they break the 1 million dollar salary it usually takes three to four films to pull the price down.

Shot Renegade,

I can't say I totally agree with your opinions, but I respect them. Let's agree to disagree on the Norton topic 8)

Back