Overhaul HBO

sfoster

Staff Member
AT&T Thoughts on HBO and the new direction they want to take it after buying the network
https://arstechnica.com/information...-overhaul-hbo-says-it-isnt-profitable-enough/

"We need hours a day," Mr. Stankey said, referring to the time viewers spend watching HBO programs. "It's not hours a week, and it's not hours a month. We need hours a day. You are competing with devices that sit in people's hands that capture their attention every 15 minutes."
Continuing the theme, he added: "I want more hours of engagement. Why are more hours of engagement important? Because you get more data and information about a customer that then allows you to do things like monetize through alternate models of advertising as well as subscriptions, which I think is very important to play in tomorrow's world."

Think about things like Game of Thrones," AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said at a telecom conference in May 2017. "In a mobile environment, a 60-minute episode might not be the best experience. Maybe you want a 20-minute episode." Instead of showing full-length episodes on all devices, it might be best to "curate the content uniquely for a mobile environment."

Buy HBO because people associate it with quality content... then force them to pump out so much content that you can't possibly maintain the brand quality. Ta-Da

Also I just want to add one thing to drive home the stupidity of this... people plan their night around game of thrones.. to watch it with the right people in the right circumstances. No one wants to watch game of thrones on a damn phone, what the hell!! Who looks at the most successful TV show in the history of television and says, damn if only it were on a tiny screen 5 inches wide

Last edited:
Back