Internships?

Hey all,

As my future progresses I plan on entering the movie biz. I've loved movies since I could understand them and have plans on directing or producing as a hopeful career. To better get an understanding of it all and for a better film school app. I was wondering if anyone knew of an intership or job that I could fill. I'm not sure due to the fact that I'm in the 11th grade so I have limited hours (until summer :)) that this is not possible, but I was curious if anyone in the Northern Va. (I live in Woodbridge) was doing or know of anything that I could do in regards to film making either now or this coming summer. Heck I'd be willing to be the coffee boy as long as I could be there and see it all unfold!! I'm 16 with transportation and the works. Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I love movies and thought I could give it a shot thanks!

This is a topic that has come up a lot recently due to the fact that we semm to have had an influx of younger filmmakers join the site.

This has been said over and over again to many like yourself, but it bears repeating all the same.

You need to do two things.

1) Find a camera (Digital 8, Mini DV, Analog, Super 8mm, whatever you can find) and begin to shoot small short movies with your friends. In doing this you will teach yourself how to make movies.

2) Absorb as much film as you can. Go see as many movies as you can, read as many books about film as you can, ask as many questions 9on this site, and others) as you can. I repeat, absorb as much film as you can.

If you do that, everything else (film school, contacts, etc.) can and will fall into place.

Good Luck
Poke

Well, if you can only work summers, you should check out http://www.camptv.net/

I wanted to do this during school, but I opted for classes instead. Basically, you'd be shooting and editing videos for kids to take home after their summer camp is over and done with. I know it doesn't sound that exciting, but 1) it's paid 2) when I was interested...about 2 years ago...they were using Canon XL1 's 3) It's betting than being on a set and fetching coffee. You actually get the do the stuff instead of watching it.

I think it sounds really fun and the experience with the equipment is good,especially since you're not having to buy the equipment yourself.

One thing I should mention here. 4 years ago, I was thinking, Man, if I'm to be a filmmaker, I should learn to shoot an edit. Film School is doing nothing but making me talk about other people's films, and take American Lit. What should I do? Well, what I did may not be the best course of action, but it worked okay for me. I went and got a job at a local news station as an editor. I soon moved up to videographer, and I've been doing that ever since. Could I have gone a different way and made it? Sure. Does that mean the way I went was bad? No. I make decent money and I work every day to adjust my storytelling, editing, and shooting skills.

NOTE: IF YOU LIVE IN A LARGE TOWN LIKE L.A. OR N.Y., DON'T EVEN TRY THIS. THE ODDS OF SOMEONE GETTING A JOB OFF THE STREET AT A NEWS STATION IN A TOP MARKET ARE SLIM AND NONE. IF YOU LIVE IN A SLIGHTLY SMALLER CITY LIKE NASHVILLE OR AUSTIN, CHANCES ARE BETTER BUT STILL POOR. I STARTED WORKING IN WACO, TX WHIC IS ABOUT THE RIGHT SIZE FOR SUCH A SITUATION. BASICALLY ANY CITY WITH A POPULATION LESS THAN 500,000 MIGHT GIVE YOU A GOOD SHOT.

Sorry if that was a tad much, but I just wanted to make that clear.

Basically, as I said before get a camera and soak up the idea of making visually based stories.

Poke

Back