Viper Filmstream Camera

Hello guys.

My DP just came to me today, with the notion to shoot on the Viper Filmstream. Upon some investigation. I cant seem to find the info on it im looking for.

We are considering it on our upcoming production.

The HDW-F900 did not do so good our last time around, and Im loosing trust in Sony, even with there new HDC-F950. This camera also has a LOT of features over the Sony or Panasonic Cameras. One being It's Uncompressed, 2nd being it has aShutter. That is what Im really happy about.

Viper does seem a Lot more of a "cinema" Camera from the Literature they have on it. But I just cant seem to find help on the following problems:

#1: They claim that each pixel has 9.2Mp.... Is this true? That would mean it outbeats the Sony by 3 1/2 Times the Resolution. that there would outbeat the resolution of film by a lot. Also, what is the CCD Size? Is it bigger than most HD cameras?

#2: My DP and I are conserned about the camera not having ANY in-camera Picture corrections. although this is handy on-set. Im not sure how much trouble it will cause in post. and also since the images are untreated, if they can be corrected in post as much to make it as good if not better than the HDW Capture.

#3: Is it true it has more color space than the HDW or Varicam?

#4: when used in RGB mode, will I still get the same resolution and stuff from the camera?

If you can answer some of these for me, please do so.

Thank You,
Landon Parks.

#1, I think you mean 9.2Mp per chip. 9.2Mp per pixel is an oxymoron. I don’t know if the resolution for that is actually true, but it may be using the new CCD technology that has been out in still digital for a while where each pixel can detect all 3 wavelengths in stead of having to have clusters of pixels for that purpose.

#2, what do you mean no in camera correction? What are you looking to do? Generally the only thing _I_ do to the picture in my camera is color correct and adjust the iris for proper exposure. I’ll add filters and stuff, but that’s all external. You’re not trying to do in camera effects are you?

#3, if it is truly uncompressed, (4:4:4) then the color saturation and sensitivity will be close to real film and should look pretty good.

#4, I can’t help.

Good luck and good hunting!

#1: They claim that each pixel has 9.2Mp.... Is this true? That would mean it outbeats the Sony by 3 1/2 Times the Resolution. that there would outbeat the resolution of film by a lot. Also, what is the CCD Size? Is it bigger than most HD cameras?
It's true - sort of. As film8ker pointed out - the camera has three 9.2-million Frame Transfer CCD's. Not only does it beat the Sony in resolution - it beat it in every feature.
#2: My DP and I are conserned about the camera not having ANY in-camera Picture corrections. although this is handy on-set. Im not sure how much trouble it will cause in post. and also since the images are untreated, if they can be corrected in post as much to make it as good if not better than the HDW Capture.
Like any film camera, this Filmstream camera responds directly to the light falling on the CCD's without any color balance. You can correct in post (like color timing on film) or use filters (like all film cameras)

If your DP knows his cameras, he'll be able to explain it better than me.

I, too, am wondering what you and your DP mean by this camera not having any in camera picture corrections. What do you want this camera to do that it doesn't?
#3: Is it true it has more color space than the HDW or Varicam?
This, too, might be a question to ask your DP. I'm not sure what you mean by "color space". The spec sheet does say there is no color-space conversion. This means the video image is not compressed or manipulated in any way. The HDW and the Varicam compress their image.
#4: when used in RGB mode, will I still get the same resolution and stuff from the camera?
It has 4:4:4 RGB output. You will get broadcast quality resolution. I don't know what you mean by "and stuff" so I can't help you there.

This is a very high end camera that doesn't record to tape.

Almost 16 months ago I stopped by the local rental house and took a look at this amazing camera. While the actual rental was reasonable, the cost of post production was prohibitive to me at that time.

I suggest you send your DP to the rental house and have him do a little research. Frankly, if he's not getting this information for you you need to have a little talk with him. While it's great that the director is taking interest in the technical aspects of the camera - your DP should have the spec sheet in hand for you to look at.

Back