Panasonic GH4 vs. RED Epic vs. 5DMkIII Raw

That's interesting. Looking at the landscape section, the GH4 seems to win in the resolution department hands down. But I think I actually prefer the look of the 5D in the "establishing shot." It's a close call with the GH4, though. Might depend on the mood or overall look you want.

Kind of surprising how the Red seems to stack up in third place to my eyes. But I'm watching on a lower resolution monitor too. Maybe that makes a difference.

Would definitely be a more interesting comparison if they'd included an Alexa or other cameras. Though I realize that's not their stated interest. But then why include the 5D3? Anyway. Cool.

That would be a great comparison if it wasn't a complete bullshit.

Something is not right there; the Red in zoom appears to be close in resolved detail to the 5d zoom crop - which tells me that something is definitely off (with the Red shot). In particular, it seems close focused (not set to infinity) - the out of focus trees in the backdrop the giveaway. It was probably a cheapo mount that doesn't actually hit infinity.

To my eye the Epic has far and away the nicest image. The Epic was focused on the foreground tree, so when the blew up the out of focus region - surprise, surprise it looks out of focus.

The 5D blow up looks like it was the victim of a combination of an out of focus image and scaling issues.

Remember they're using an 80-200, and the Epic and 5D have much bigger sensors than the GH4. So if the Epic and 5D were sitting around 160mm to get that shot size, it's likely that they needed to have the GH4 at around 80mm to match, which would explain the reason there's more apparent sharpness - as more of the image is in focus. Of course, they easily could have focused the GH4 one the roof, and the other two on the tree just to rig it, but it almost looks like they gave absolutely no thought to focus at all.

So Hollywood should just drop red epic and get GH4? Whatever... I want to see a more professional unbiased comparison. GH4 is so hyped up these days it's unbelievable, the minute a new camera hits the market they are gonna trash whatever else is out there just to sell the new product.

There is another video on YouTube I will see if I can find the link, where a professional model photographer compares Red Epic with Hasselblad and concludes that he could use the Red instead Hasselblad for his work. So what's next? GH4, with it's micro four thirds sensor just blowing Hasselblad out of the water?

Back