• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting Questions

Hey everyone, I'm a senior in college currently working on my thesis film. For my thesis class, one of the things I'm supposed to do outside of working on my thesis film is I'm supposed to interview someone that does what I want to do, which is screenwriting.

If you are interested in helping me, I'll post questions below and I would love it if some of you can answer the questions for me. You can post them on here, PM them to me or email it to me at grob1211@student.fdu.edu.

Name -

How long have you been writing screenplays? -

How do you come up with material? Is your past a heavy influence on how you make films? -

What is your method on mapping out a story? How heavy do you rely on typical formula. -

What do you personally look for in films and storytelling in general? -

How long does it take you to write a feature length script? Does it vary on the story? -

How many drafts do you think are enough? I know when I write, I can keep making new draft after new draft. At what point and how would you know when to stop yourself on editing? -

When attempting to sell a screenplay, how do you go about doing that? -

Is it hard to accept that if a screenplay is sold, it may not be made? Because I know when I write, if it’s not made it feels like a waste of time. -

How much influence does a writer have on the production, if any at all? Does it depend on the individual or director? -

What are the challenges for a writer/director as opposed to just a director who is directing someone else’s material? What problems could one face? -

How do you overcome writer’s block? Is there any technique that you use in particular? -

If there is anything else you want to add feel free. Thank you in advance.

Back