• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Research Questionaire for Screenwriting Project

(Apologies to the Moderators if this isn't where this thread should be posted, please direct me to the correct section if this is so)

The aim of this thread is to find out audience expectations and opinions on certain aspects related to a screenwriting project I am currently working on.

I have a series of questions to be answered but keep in mind that there is no right or wrong answer. The answers provided are for the purpose of rewriting the screenplay in its current form to correct any errors in plot, character actions and motives.

The project is a Horror movie with elements of Drama and Suspense mixed with gore and some explicit themes.

Here are the eight questions:

1. Do you prefer movies that stick to one genre for the whole movie or do you accept elements from other genres being included?

2. Do you prefer movies that explain everything or leave some things to the imagination or for suspension of disbelief?

3. How much would you accept in order to maintain an adequate suspension of disbelief?

4. What are some of the things that would make you hate a character whether they are the hero or villain?

5. What are some of the things that would make you like a character whether they are the hero or villain?

6. What makes a woman like and/or identify with a female character?

7. If you are male what are some of the things that would make you like a female character whether they are the hero or villain?

8. What are some of the things that would make you want to see a character survive?

Are there any other opinions about films in general that you would like to express that could be beneficial for the screenwriting process? If so please don't hesitate to reply.

Thanks everyone for your time, I really appreciate your help.

Last edited:
1. Do you prefer movies that stick to one genre for the whole movie or do you accept elements from other genres being included?

I accept other genres if their placing into the film makes sense.

2. Do you prefer movies that explain everything or leave some things to the imagination or for suspension of disbelief?

Depends on the execution. Full explanation can seem obvious and make the viewer feel stupid. Keeping info from the audience can come off as pretentious or unnecessary. There's no black and white answer. It's all in the execution.

3. How much would you accept in order to maintain an adequate suspension of disbelief?

If a character is relatable and interesting, as well as human - I will suspend my disbelief. Although I will usually not forgive stupidity and cliches.

4. What are some of the things that would make you hate a character whether they are the hero or villain?

Things that I don't like in everyday human beings.

5. What are some of the things that would make you like a character whether they are the hero or villain?

Complexity and depth. I hate when the media portrays killers as if they are monsters. The reason Hannibal scared people was because of how human he was. People seem to struggle with the concept that there are not monsters out there, but within ourselves. So created 3 dimensional, realistic, and complex villains, as well as relatable heroes. Oh, and Joker/Freddy humor doesn't hurt in a DARK COMEDY.

6. If you are female what are some of the things that would make you hate a male character whether they are the hero or villain?

If I was a female. Umm.... qualities that women hate about men?

7. If you are male what are some of the things that would make you like a female character whether they are the hero or villain?

Qualities that we like about women.

8.Regardless of sex, how much would you like to see being done to a character that you hate?

Very vague question? Torture? What is my emotional state?

9. What are some of the things that would make you want to see a character survive?

Likable qualities.

None of these questions can really be answered 100% right. It comes down to the execution.

Just tell the story. As long as it makes sense, genres are not too important to me.

As long as there is internal logic, I will accept anything with no extra explanation.

As above, I will accept anything as long as the story demands it, and it fits with the story's internal logic (this requires the story to have internal logic, of course!) If you ever watch Doctor Who, this is its biggest failing.

Smug, supercilious, condescending, arrogant. If you want a concrete example, look at the British Prime Minister. It's also why I find it impossible to hate Walter White.

Witty, smart and funny, or tragic and reacting in a human way to events around him/her.

They'd need a character beyond a cliche, and to pass the Bechdel test. They'd need to avoid that horrible critic's cliche "feisty" (fun fact: the original meaning of 'feisty' is 'flatulent').

8. Regardless of sex, how much would you like to see being done to a character that you hate?

Suffering and redemption is always fun. You should read my first novel :P

9. What are some of the things that would make you want to see a character survive?

It always gets me when kids are left without one or both parents.

I prefer double genre films where the two are mixed throughout.
However, single genre films are fairly fine - like comedies and drama.
I do not enjoy films that start out in one genre, switch to a second, then third or even fourth, ie 'Red State.'

A straight horror film... ? No drama, no mystery, no thriller, no scifi/fantasy (probably a slasher, then), and no action?
Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Ah, this is tricky!
Audiences come in all shapes and sizes and mental capacities.
You're best off explaining everything and buttoning up all loose ends.
Too often either the filmmaker thinks they're being clever by not answering everything by "leav[ing] some things to the imagination or for suspension of disbelief" and the audience just finds the story as having a bunch of holes in it from generally sloppy story craft.
The filmmaker will be burned in effigy. :yes:

An undefined amount.
I'll put up with very little bullsh!t.

Maybe one or two bogus elements will be forgiven, after that I ACTIVELY start nit picking the sh!tty story apart.
If a character uses a gun they had better use it the proper way. None of this BS where they're racking the slide when there's already a round in the breach.
If a character is using an ax to cut a log they had better heft and swing that ax with the right posture and form.
Just the other day I saw a character using a shovel to dig compacted hard dirt using only their shoulders. Pfft. Gotta use your feet and jump on that shovel!

Don't be an idiot.
Don't write your characters as idiots, either.

I'm sick of cliché flawed and reluctant heros. :rolleyes:
I'm also sick of the impossibly near-immortal hero that takes a lickin' an' keeps on tickin', ie John McClain.
Villains that are crafted trying too hard to be bad - down to their stupid "bad guy" names.
Super vengeful villains are ridiculous, as well.

I like regular people faced with irregular or extraordinary situations - and still come out on top!
Often it's from the help of other regular people.
I like villains that simply have a different perspective on what's right or wrong, or no concept of it.

6. If you are female what are some of the things that would make you hate a male character whether they are the hero or villain?
N/A

That their gender isn't really an issue.
And that YOU, THE SCREENWRITER, don't write the b!tch falls down! EVERRRRR!!!

8. Regardless of [gender], how much would you like to see being done to a character that you hate?
Character dies or receives justice, but not vengeance.
Sometimes twisted irony also works well, such as being a victim of their own doings.

They're smart, or very thoughtful, or kind, or don't really deserve to die.
No killing children or animals. Big big taboo there.

Are there any other opinions about films in general that you would like to express that could be beneficial for the screenwriting process? If so please don't hesitate to reply.
Yeah, look over these lists, identify which of these you've seen, then which of those you did or didn't like, and then understand precisely WHY you did and didn't like them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_2013

Integrate those elements into or out of your story as you design it.

GL!

Thanks very much for all the feedback so far, I appreciate people taking the time to read and answer questions :)

I should mention something I forgot to in my first post and that's the fact this project is for a short film. I'm aware of the difficulty in creating a short that is effective due to the nature of short films. I want to make sure I'm creating something that grabs your attention, gets you caring for the female character in the story (so you feel like you want to protect her from what's going on around her) and for the villain to be loathed so that you really want to see him get what he deserves.

I want to make sure I'm creating something that grabs your attention, gets you caring for the female character in the story (so you feel like you want to protect her from what's going on around her) and for the villain to be loathed so that you really want to see him get what he deserves.
OMG.

Is she a child that requires protecting?

She had better not be a pathetic legal adult that requires "protecting."

Any sensible loathsome villain is going to easily consume a sensible adult, irregardless of gender, by both overwhelming intent and planning.

It's a math thing.

Jane, the college student, humpty dumpty-ing between school, work, errands, and home is going to fail miserably against Vladmord!, the epic sociopath next door, who has plotted out for years his capture of Jane to add to his sex slave dungeon compound collection.

WHY does the female protag require protecting?
WHY should I not feel that she's a stupid b!tch that probably ought to die because this ain't the 1950's anymore?

1950s.jpg

(As if rape and torture were only invented in the 1960's.)

I was envisioning her as a 25-30 year old woman who goes through a traumatic experience but instead of remaining passive she takes matters into her own hands against the man who put her through it.

I guess saying I want people to feel like they want to protect her isn't the right thing to say - I want the audience to care about her is more appropriate.

Since there don't seem to be any women offering a view here, I'm going to comment just on this part:

In my opinion, you're at least partially asking the wrong question(s):
What makes a woman like and/or identify with a female character?

That's what i think (opinion of course!) is the real question.

Please give her (whether a hero or a villain) a brain, and some realistic (within the framework of the story) dialogue. Don't only show her half undressed, unless you do the same for the male characters. If she's chasing a bad guy, give her sneakers not high heels to run in. Show her in a cocktail dress or lingerie at a party or in a bedroom scene, but if she's fighting (physically), give her jeans, sweats, or something otherwise appropriate.

if she's of working age, give her a job. If she's of school age, show that.

One of the great things about the Hunger Games movies or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is that young women love to see these strong characters (I often follow on fb what my nieces - ages 17 & 20 - and their friends like).

And don't have one female character and 10 men - it's annoying!

You can check out this NYFA study that came out yesterday - it's my post of the week, where ever I get the chance :)
https://www.nyfa.edu/film-school-blog/gender-inequality-in-film/

It quantifies a lot of things about women in movies that I thought/felt for a long time.

^^

Yeah. What she said.

I like competent women, in real life and in film.
I think only developmentally stunted males like girl-women "more stupider" than they are.

...There's nothing wrong with a few good laughs within a serious drama. Sometimes it's nice to have something serious within a comedy Like in the animated film: "Up" ..."From Dusk Til Dawn" was an interesting mix of Drama and Horror. Vampires seem to still be in, but I think the Zombie thing has been overplayed by now. People like to toss them both into movies now.

... I like understandable conclusions. I think some movies have ambiguous, thought-provoking endings because they feel they have some type of higher level of understanding than the common movie goer.

...I have a major concern over this. The "Oceans 11, 12, 13, 14, 165, 396 and so on" movies especially. Writers dream up these extremely complex plans to where if any element of the plan goes wrong they would be hung, but everything works out sooooooo perfectly. You'll see a 12 person multi-million dollar bank heist plan all hinging on some security guard scratching his nose at a certain time. ...What if he didn't?

...What if the Armored Car in "The Italian Job" didn't end up directly over the hole it was supposed to fall into? If I made that plan everyone in my goon squad would be asking the same question.

...Rapist, Pedophile, Hurting children. There's certain lines that when they get crossed there's no coming back.

...Dedication to their cause. Level of intensity. "Charisma" with a man. "Perseverance" with a woman.

- NA -

...Perseverance, attitude, beauty, of course. Lena Olin (Mona Demarkov) was a great "bad girl" in the movie "Romeo is Bleeding". Classy girl even with a missing arm! ...She was a much better character than Amber Valletta (Audrey Billings) in the movie "Transporter 2". Audrey Billings was just a skinny bitch with really bad makeup and a couple of MAC's.

8. Regardless of sex, how much would you like to see being done to a character that you hate?

...Not sure I understand the question. If it's "How much pain should s/he suffer?", I don't need to see it physically happen. If the "bad guy" ends up getting what they have inflicted on others that usually does the job.

...The ability for them to see the fruits of their labor. ...A "mate" left behind is never fun. ...Allowing them to see the bad guy taken down. Many times the main character gets the job done ...but some other important "loved" character gets taken out and never gets to see justice prevail.

...I'm sick and tired of seeing "beings" with special powers fighting and never really getting hurt. When the two wizards were fighting in "Lord of the Rings" I couldn't tell if they were getting hurt or not? they's just get right back up and fight! Same with the "Superman" and the "X-Men" movies . If I got smacked with a motorcycle it would probably hurt. Smack an X-Man character with one and they just laugh it off.

...In "Rocky" when Apollo would smack Rocky in the face with a haymaker you could see the blood fly from Rocky's mouth. You could "relate" to the pain because Rocky wasn't some superhero. Rocky wasn't a wizard. He wasn't a mutant. ...He was merely a human who could really take a beating.

Thanks everyone for your time, I really appreciate your help.

...You're welcome! Nice Post!

-Birdman

Last edited:
Without giving too much away at this point ;) I will say that in the situation presented in this story the law is dealing with their own problems so there is plenty of free reign for laws to be broken, so her actions will not be breaking the law - if her actions were scrutinized I don't think her actions would be considered out of line.

The woman's fate is not to become a villain that's for sure :). Thanks for your input rayw it's good to be asked questions that make you think. BTW I will check out those links you gave me too.

RE Q6/7: mlesemann you make a very valid point. I will amend the questions to take the suggestion into account along with changes to some of the other questions.

I am definitely wanting to portray the female lead as a woman who, despite what she has been through even before experiencing what the villain will do, is a strong character that will show that strength. Thank your for the female perspective, I'm glad you posted and I will check out the links you provided too.

Birdman I might take that question out (thanks for your answer on it though) because it would come under the same thing as what Q4 asks. I'd like to add a side note and mention I like what you posted about Rocky, one of my favourite characters :)

Last edited:
Back