• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Who plays the greater role in determining how a film is shot - the director or DP?

I understand that most of the answers here will be generalizations, as no two shoots or directors are the same. That being said, in your personal experience, who plays the greater role in determining how a film is shot (specifically, positioning of the camera and choosing angles) - the director or the DP/cinematographer? Most of the amateur filmmakers I know take on the role of both director and cinematographer because they don't have the funds to hire a dedicated cinematographer, but I'm curious how things typically work on a higher budget production.

You watched my short? I ask because you describe it perfectly

I did. After all the discussion (and resisting our critique) that went on last year, I was curious.

I take partial blame because I didn’t have a storyboard, it was rushed, left my shot list, etc.

You’re the director. Whatever happens, or doesn’t happen, certainly falls on you. Nature of the beast, etc. But again these are lessons learned that’ll equip you better for the next one.

However, I followed him on IG afterwards and his work seems to be mostly commercial and rap videos. Not cinematography and a film aspect. He has IMDb for a movie coming out, maybe I’ll see it.

If he’s shooting rap videos and it’s not cinematography, he’s shooting terrible rap videos. Just sayin’.

I did. After all the discussion (and resisting our critique) that went on last year, I was curious.

You’re the director. Whatever happens, or doesn’t happen, certainly falls on you. Nature of the beast, etc. But again these are lessons learned that’ll equip you better for the next one.

If he’s shooting rap videos and it’s not cinematography, he’s shooting terrible rap videos. Just sayin’.
I won’t say terrible, you can check him out on IG at @globalfilmz but from what I see, it’s like any other video.

I’ve grown to like natural light with contrast that has a documentary style to it. That’s what my gf described my style as. Paul Greengrass, Wally Pfister, etc. I concur, it was a learning process to go forward.

Back