Canon XL1 Lenses Talk

I have been searching for Canon lenses for my Canon XL1 Camera. But I can't find many except for ones that go with Canon SLR cameras. I have found many of those wonderful lenses for those type of cameras but I was wondering, can I still use those type of lenses for my Canon XL1 Camcorder? Or is their an adapter I could buy to make them work? Anyway, I need help. If you know or have information or answers, please help me.

Also, can I use Canon XL2 Camera lenses on my Canon XL1 Camera (Camcorder)?

Thank you so much!

A lens is a lens, so yes, as long as the mount types are the same then those will work. If the mount is different then you can easily buy an adapter.

What mount type does your XL1 have? The two common mount types for cannon are FD (manual focus) and EOS or EF (autofocus).

The same answer applies to your XL2 lens on XL1 camera question. And I think it's pretty likely they have the same mount.

Hope that helps, brotha. :)

I use strictly Canon XL lenses on my XL1s. I have both the stock lens (16x with optical stabilization) and a 16x manual lens. There's also a 3x wide angle lens available.

You would need an adapter for EOS series lenses. The XL camcorders are not 35mm. The most popular adapters are for use with film camera lenses (like the RedRock Micro).

jkortje,
From what I read the EOS adapter doesn't give you much. Your image plane is still the same etc. when people talk 35mm adapters for video camers, they mean things like the Letus, Brevis, Jag35, etc. These devices provide a LARGE imaging plane, which gives you all that cool 35mm DOF options, etc.. The EOS just lets you use the EOS lenses on your camera, arguably the stock XL lens might be better than any EOS you can buy.. Now, there is at least one FULL MANUAL XL lens .. that could be a nice addition.. but I dont know the camera so meh..

Back