Building a set

sfoster

Staff Member
I have this ambitious film which involves filming, taking a break for a year, and then filming again after a body transformation.

I'm terrified that what location(s) I choose will alter or become available the next year. This has really been a road block for me.

Last night I began thinking maybe I just need to build a set? This way I can break it down and store it. Then rebuild it anywhere (if need be) the next year.

Basically the two locations for this would both be lobby of a business, one of which needs to have a hallway + office for the characters to enter. The other of which needs to appear to have an elevator.

I wouldn't even know where to start or how much it would cost.
I am not the most handy of people. I can DIY with explicit instructions but that's where my skills end.

With the garage door open
GarageSet-5.jpg

Door closed
GarageSet-7.jpg

And the aftermath - why we needed a set and couldn't shoot in the living room
GarageSet-8.jpg

Looks like a great time. I'll definitely get some pictures to commemorate this event.

Any tips on flooring cheaply?
A concrete garage floor isn't going to cut it.

Especially considering I want to do an action scene there.

their jack is permanently attached with nails and that would sure complicate storage.

You can hinge the stand so it'll fold flat for storage, or as Rik suggested, just screw them on and unscrew for storage.

Any tips on flooring cheaply?

Stick-on carpet squares, or cheap snap-together laminate. Depending on your shot requirements, you might be able to get away with a few sheets of plywood covered in your desired flooring, and move them around for various shots.

You could also have one floor covering on one side, and a different floor covering on the other side of plywood sheets, so that your locations can have different floors, and storage requirements are still kept small-ish.

You can hinge the stand so it'll fold flat for storage, or as Rik suggested, just screw them on and unscrew for storage.

Stick-on carpet squares, or cheap snap-together laminate. Depending on your shot requirements, you might be able to get away with a few sheets of plywood covered in your desired flooring, and move them around for various shots.

You could also have one floor covering on one side, and a different floor covering on the other side of plywood sheets, so that your locations can have different floors, and storage requirements are still kept small-ish.

A great place to start, laminate seems pretty cheap.
Is it possible to place that stuff on top of a mat to cushion falls?

You probably could, but the pieces would likely separate with the force of a fall onto them if they're not on a hard surface. You'd probably be better off having the impact off camera, or painting out the mat in post.

Back