• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting

Will this idea work,
A love story between a drug addict with anxiety disorder (male) and a cop (female) .How it changed his life and a tragic ending

Maybe it's his best friend on the news, and this wakes him up. They both do bath salts, and a good zombie cannibal opening can't lose. :lol:

My recommendation for the opening, speaking generically, is to have an initiating event. An action. As has been said above, just talking about wanting to kick an addiction is a bit cliche' if not a bit "on the nose" so to speak.

I would consider starting with introducing your characters in their current life. A day in the life of your main character/protag as an addict.

Then you should have an initiating event or action that changed the trajectory of your character/protagonist onto the path (in this case, kicking their addiction). But be aware that this too is full of cliches like "friend ODs" or "gets arrested stealing to fund the addiction", etc. but that doesn't mean you can't use that, just that you need to execute it well.

So again my recommendation is to show us the path your characters are on, introduce a triggering or initating event or action that changes that trajectory and then we're on the path of the story you want to tell.
They are not interested in kicking their addiction they are just having a conversation about it in a lighter tone while they are high

Here are the first few parts of my story a protagonist and his friend(both addicts) living in a lowly apartment with a lowly job,their daily lives.One day the protagonist gets caught with possession by a cop(female lead) forces him into becoming an informant
A bond grows during his time as an informant ,hero falls in love
But does not find the courage especially after he actually sees how women look at him and how they tend to avoid addicts like him
He then tries to change and the story goes on sowing his past where he is shown having anxiety issues and is socially awkward. He has a family a mother (his strongest anchor ,dies in an accident after which he gets addicted to drugs) and a father (estranged after his addiction)
Let me know if this is strong enough i will reveal the further plot the sequence of the events is not specific his past is revealed in flashes.

They are not interested in kicking their addiction they are just having a conversation about it in a lighter tone while they are high

Ok...so sticking with the opening on them talking. That's fine but is it just them talking? For how long? Any flashbacks to visually illustrate or support their conversation?

The question you need to ask IMHO is why would anyone want to sit and watch (visual medium) two people talk about their addictions?

The answer to that question is quite literally what should make it into your opening.

Just a shot or cross cuts of two people sitting there doping up and talking with no breaks sounds extremely boring (unless there's comedy, think Rogan and Rudd playing video games in "40 Year Old Virgin" where there's jokes and intercuts with other scenes) so your job now is, if you are dead set on opening with two people talking/doping, go write it and make sure it's something we want to read and that we can visualize in our "mind's eye" and want to keep reading/visualizing.

Good luck!

Maybe it's his best friend on the news, and this wakes him up. They both do bath salts, and a good zombie cannibal opening can't lose. :lol:

Nice spin :lol:

So they're watching this zombie cannibal on tv like .. shit, isn't that your dealer you got these drugs from?
::eyeballs drugs::

Well I'm not going to throw them away. They're probably safe.

::does zombie cannibal drug::

Back