• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Worked boom for first time

I've always respected sound, but damn it can be physically taxing! I've done boom as far as setting up a mic stand and occasionally instructing someone to hold the mic in a place as I adjusted levels. But I just boomed a short for 12 hours and holy crap I'm beat.

Not easy, is it?

Nope... But what I didn't expect was learning some of the cool subtleties. This is a lot more subtle than I thought. You and the mixer are doing the equivalent job of DP and camera op, but usually doing it with little setup. Sound shaping for the room is like lighting, but every set has lights... Few have lots of sound material.

Also, try not to have children on the set :) They get bored and noisy. Even in another room.

Also, also, when your AD starts getting annoyed at people, he might start yelling. Aim the mic in a different direction. :D

Overall, I learned an amazing amount about sound for film. It was awesome.

Not good ones. Not conscientious ones. There's a real need for peeps who really want to do it.

Has anyone taught you the proper techniques? They can make the job easier and less stressful on your body.

I attended a digital film workshop at Boston University and this was one of the instructor's big points. There is a real lack of qualified sound people out there. Sounds like it could be a very fascinating and rewarding path if you take the time to learn it.

Recovering from yesterday's shoot, but I'm not too beat up. It's fairly demanding work, physically and mentally.

After a little bit of inquiry after the shoot, the previous substitute boom op was fired for ruining a shot which couldn't be recreated since the set was wrapped. When I arrived, the line manager grilled me a bit, and had the 2nd 2nd watch me all day (who told me this later). My mixer and the 2nd 2nd were happy, so I'll assume the line manager was happy.

I only had one issue when I hit a locker with the back of the boom while trying to sneak through a small area and had to relocate for the next take. Also... don't wear rings. Had to pull my ring off right before a take when I heard it hit the boom.

Last edited:
Worked with a new mixer today... shoulders in pain. Learned a lot. Also wired up a car with plants and transmitters. Do not apply armor-all to cars before sound gets to look at it first!

Long past time for ibuprofen and sleep.

Back