movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Just watched The Last Temptation of Christ. Wow, what a film. I am not religious but I liked this movie because it portrays Jesus as a man who has sinned and is not afraid to confess it, he feels anger and frustration, he trashes a marketplace - all these things and more make Jesus seem more human than what the bible seems to preach.

I did some reading and found out about how some religious groups were protesting the movie upon it's release, had injured audience members in one instance by attacking a theatre showing the film with molotov cocktails...what good role models they are *roles eyes.

But getting back to the movie itself it is an entertaining movie. The scene where Mary Magdalene is having rocks thrown at her and Jesus tells the people that if they haven't sinned then throw a stone. The interesting thing about this scene is that Jesus himself doesn't throw a stone. If the Jesus of the bible doesn't throw a stone then that means he has sinned himself - something which the bible doesn't explore but in the film this fits with how they have differed from the events depicted in the bible, and therefore Jesus is just like other humans and has sinned himself, otherwise he would have thrown a stone too.

*SPOILER*

The ending differs from the bible. It shows Jesus being saved from the cross by an angel in the form of a girl and being led back to Mary Magdalene. Jesus and Mary have intercourse but she dies afterwards having been killed by God. Jesus is then led to Mary and Martha (the sisters of Lazarus, the man who had died and was brought back from death by Jesus only to be killed again in this movie by the apostle Paul) who he marries and has children with.

Jesus grows old and on his deathbed is visited by Peter, Nathaniel, John and Judas. Judas calls Jesus a traitor because he didn't die on the cross and resurrected after three days to bring salvation to the world, as he had told Judas. He then tells Jesus that the angel who has been with him is actually Satan, who has tested Jesus one more time by tricking him into having intercourse and thereby rebelling against God.

Jesus crawls back to where he was crucified and pleads to God to let him fulfill his purpose and to let him be his son, effectively asking that he be crucified like he was supposed to be - he then finds himself back at his crucifixion having passed the last temptation by Satan.

This ending seems to be much better to the one in the bible because it comes back to Jesus being like any mortal, tempted by the same things we all are etc, and I don't think it's blasphemous to portray him in that way.

The other thing is that what the apostle Paul (the same one who killed the resurrected Lazarus) is preaching to people about Jesus having died on the cross and being resurrected after three days is contested by Jesus himself who accuses Paul of creating lies - Jesus tells him that he didn't die on the cross, and that Paul is lying. This is great because it makes you think of how the bible has been written and passed onto generations and what is in there has been considered by many to be the truth, and here in this film you have Jesus himself saying that what is being preached isn't the truth. Later of course since it's revealed this whole thing is just part of a dream or a different reality, the fact of this scene existing is a bit of a nod to those who believe that the bible isn't the word of God himself but just stories written by people to entertain or to use as teaching tools to people. This is another reason why I like this film and it's boldness.

*END SPOILER*

Overall this is a great film all across the board. The music is excellent and makes me want to get the soundtrack. I rented this movie through Quickflix so will return it but I want to buy a version that has special features on it.

I would recommend people see this if they haven't. Even if you're not religious, like I am, then you will find there's things about this story that are appealing. There is a lot of violence in this, the severity isn't like Passion of the Christ (which I haven't seen yet), just the fact that there's violence shown in this film is a testament (no pun intended) to the reality brought to the table not only by director Martin Scorcese but to all the actors and others involved in the production.

10/10

Just watched The Last Temptation of Christ. Wow, what a film. I am not religious but I liked this movie because it portrays Jesus as a man who has sinned and is not afraid to confess it, he feels anger and frustration, he trashes a marketplace - all these things and more make Jesus seem more human than what the bible seems to preach.

That is a really great film that I actually just saw a few weeks ago. I am a Christian (though an open-minded one) and I found the film to be one of the most spiritual films and the best representation of Christ on screen that I've seen so far. This film really showed me just how difficult Christ's sacrifice was! You already mentioned everything pretty well, so all I can say is that all that temptation and all of that difficulty that we see Christ face in the film just makes that ending where we see him say "It is accomplished" MUCH more powerful. I think if the Gospels were written as an auto-biography by Jesus they'd show much more of the inner struggle, because only Jesus fully understood how difficult it was to be man and God.

Lost In Translation directed by Sofia Coppola - 8/10
This is a great mood piece but eh, I think its one of those films that I would have loved more had I seen it a year or two ago. Parts of the film seem aimless (and only part of this aimlessness is effective for me), I love the performances but I feel that the characters are a bit flat. I love the images in the film but it often feels like it tries to capture too much of Tokyo's tourist landmarks. Maybe it's because I've seen romantic mood already captured on film (and better in the case of Wong Kar-Wai), or maybe it's because I've seen better representations of Japan and Tokyo from actual Japanese cinema, but I just feel like this film is just "good enough" and not quite great. Still, the realistic relationship between the two protagonists is fresh for this kind of film, there are some clever moments, there's good music, and it's just a beautiful film even though I don't feel its a particularly deep one.

Man of Steel - 10/10

I think I'm one of the few who thought it delivered exactly what I expected and more. I loved the twist they put on Superman to make him seem utterly invincible but weak in moral terms.

this ones actually a short film:

Pizza - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRofOhDZMw

These guys also did another short that i thought was brilliant.

9/10

Here is another short film that gets a straight 10/10 for me, simply the best short i have seen and depicts everything i want to do as a filmmaker when i have the skills and money.

CONTROLLER - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu8NBUppyzA

I prefer watching it on vimeo, but theres the youtube link, Director is Saman Kesh, checkout his stuff on vimeo, the guy is insanely talented.

but again controller is an example of pure genius, I love the story too.

This short film is by far the best I've ever seen. I watched it again and had to share it with those who have not yet seen it. Its score by Zack Hemsey has heavily influenced my music choice in many of my films and shorts. Give it a look, it's definitely worth 30 minutes of your time.

THE CANDIDATE

http://vimeo.com/42934682

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! 3/5

This sexploitation film was better than I expected! My only real criticism is that by the end I didn't really know who to root for anymore (if anyone)

I'd recommend Bitch Slap over pussycat, but they're both enjoyable

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! 3/5

This sexploitation film was better than I expected! My only real criticism is that by the end I didn't really know who to root for anymore (if anyone)

I'd recommend Bitch Slap over pussycat, but they're both enjoyable

Haha! Love that movie :D

Give "Death Proof" a look. It was part of the 2007 Grindhouse Double Feature Rodriguez - Tarantino collaboration. It's not fantastic, but it's still fun (similar plot-line).

I find it funny thinking about how people talking about film can be so horribly misinterpreted by other people in public.

"I put a deadcat on my blimp the other day!"

Or in your case..

"Bitch slap is so much better than pussycat, but I enjoy them both".

:lol:

I saw death proof (although not the other feature included) and liked it. My favorite camp/sexploitation of all time is still barbarella haha

The Sea Is Watching directed by Kei Kumai; written by Akira Kurosawa - 7/10
This was a pretty disappointing film because I expected better from two of the most talented Japanese filmmakers. The cinematography was great and the setting, but the story and characters never fully engaged me. The beginning was promising but then the story took some turns for the worse. Still, the film is elevated from a decent film to a pretty good one with its ending that has a few great scenes, great cinematography, and it actually makes me care deeply about one of the main characters. I wonder how this film would've turned out if Kurosawa had the opportunity to direct it.

Inside Llewyn Davis 10/10.

For me it was like a film school watching this movie. Perfect acting, story telling, dialogue, characters and so on.
There was just a perfect flow, almost like music. Perfect rhythm. (pretentious... haha)

House - 10/10

This movie is a perfect example of taking everything that you learn you as a filmmaker, throwing it away, and starting it over again.

The film is like if David Lynch, Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Terry Gilliam, Guy Maddin, Takashi Miike, David Cronenberg, Darren Aronofsky, Luis Bunel, Mario Bava, and Guillermo del Toro all got together, took some acid, and made some sort of a Scooby Doo-Power Rangers-Freaks-Enter the Dragon-Altered States-Society-Donnie Darko mashup, remembering to have the film edited by a toddler and the whole thing improvised without a screenplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN0HVJ5tkIM

Or in other words...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4pej5H9pa1qg39ewo1_500.gif

American History X directed by Tony Kaye (well he disowned it, so let's say Edward Norton is the auteur) - 9/10
Wow this is such an incredible film. I've been wanting to watch it for a long time but I thought I may be disturbed by some of the content, but thanks to Chimp's recommendation (on two lists) I finally gave it a shot and I love this film. I love the use of black and white in the scenes showing the past and the use of color in present scenes. Edward Norton's performance is just brilliant, I love how the film portrays his racism as something almost logical and convincing, when we know how crazy extreme it is (and I'm saying this as a Hispanic person not as some white dude). I think the acting is just great in this film and that's what makes it work, great characters with great performances. It's a simple film (with brilliant storytelling), but I think its exactly the kind of film necessary to tackle such a difficult subject. The ending really shocked me though, that's not to say it was bad though, it really impacted me.

Oh yeah, and Chimp, I wasn't disturbed by the explicit scenes really, I was actually more disturbed by how deep the racism was (which is a positive quality for the film), so I guess I'm getting better at watching these kinds of films!

Doomsday Book - 5/10, even if you want to see it, and if you don't then probably a 3/10
Not quite as science fictiony as I was hoping for.

Battle Royale
- 8/10 as history, 7/10 as entertainment
I've heard multiple references to this film and finally got around to it - not bad.
It's like a rated R 'Hunger Games' without all the drama BS, although there's plenty of drama in it!
It's kind of impressive just how much action they stuck in it, actually.
The student actors did great.

Insidious: Chapter 2 - 3/10
Boringous 2.
Just read the linked wikipedia synopsis and save yourself an hour and a half.
Yeah, yeah, yeah they did a fine job of crafting a background for the bad spirit from the first. Yay.
Code:
Budget $5 million
Box office $160,444,011
Can't argue with the marketing dept. They earned it.

Dead Sushi - 4/10
Nowhere near as entertaining as the director's 'Mutant Girls Squad'.
I don't get the fascination with sushi, and it's more than just a plot device here.
Whatevs.

The Shock Labyrinth - 2/10
I needed several shocks to keep me awake but succumbed to common sense and just turned it off eventually.
Skip it.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die - 5/10
See it if you want.
Don't if you don't.
The title is totally misleading - no one's really trying to kill the brain, and it's more of a head anyways, so you can't very well say that it WOULDN'T die - and
it dies in the house fire.:tongue:
Whatevs. Retards.
It's in the public domain, so I suppose it would be great material for a modern remake/reenvisioning! :yes:

Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89XWxhn3pkQ

A Hard Day's Night directed by Richard Lester - 10/10
This film was a blast to watch! It was a re-watch but I saw it when I was younger so I didn't understand the humor back then. This film just has great scene after great scene and music from one of The Beatles' best albums (IMO). What I love is that this isn't just a vehicle for the band, it's a great piece of filmic art. The energy and youthfulness of the film feels like it's straight out of the New Wave, the handheld camerawork is great, the editing adds a lot to the film's energy, the dialogue is as good as any great Old Hollywood picture, and it captures that unique Swinging London feel. In anyone else's hands this film could've been a mediocre vehicle for the band, but with Lester's filmmaking talent it becomes a great film (a masterpiece IMO) and one of the definitive films that capture Swinging London. I've heard the other Beatles films are not as good but I'll give them a shot even if just to see the band's unique personality on screen again.

I've always thought Beatles movies have been hit or miss. I mean, Help and A Hard Day's Night are just movies you have to love. Classics.

Then there's Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which are... well... I think I'd be fine if they didn't exist.

Enders Game 3/5

This was just okay. All of the military training looked like a joke next to films like full metal jacket. The whole ending battle was really dumb to me. Also it was too predictable, I knew what was going on as soon as the battle started :no:

The only part in the whole movie that got any feeling out of me was when ender had to deal with that little prick. :lol: So I guess that's the only actor i liked

Back