tv Live TV dead as radio

By "live" do you mean linear?

That is, "by appointment TV," as opposed to on demand?

I'm the producer of a TV show that airs on a linear diginet TV network, and I've given this question a ton of thought. Is linear programming dying?

Probably.

But maybe not. On demand streaming has its advantages, but there's still something to be said for the community "feel" of watching linear TV. That is, that you're sitting down to watch a show along with the rest of America (or Europe or wherever you're from) at an appointed time.

If linear TV goes the way of the dinosaur, it'll hurt the indie producers like me who heavily depend on the organic channel flipping nature of TV show discovery.

By "live" do you mean linear?

That is, "by appointment TV," as opposed to on demand?

I'm the producer of a TV show that airs on a linear diginet TV network, and I've given this question a ton of thought. Is linear programming dying?

Probably.

But maybe not. On demand streaming has its advantages, but there's still something to be said for the community "feel" of watching linear TV. That is, that you're sitting down to watch a show along with the rest of America (or Europe or wherever you're from) at an appointed time.

If linear TV goes the way of the dinosaur, it'll hurt the indie producers like me who heavily depend on the organic channel flipping nature of TV show discovery.

Yeah I was referring to by appointment tv, referencing an article like this one.. there are several to choose from that all cite the same statistic.. that demographics are shifting away from old fashioned tv to internet streaming.

This stuff is going to take a long time though it wont happen overnight

https://deadline.com/2018/07/only-39-percent-viewers-choose-live-tv-as-default-study-1202425625/

Apple is now rumored to be developing original content only available to device owners of things such as Apple TV.

Also I want to give a shout out to the starz original series The Girlfriend Experience.
Another great series available for streaming on a custom network

Last edited:
Oh God no! Not endless superhero crap!! That's the reason why cinema is now uninspiring and practically dead. Hopefully they can give us something other than people flying off to save the world for the billionth time.

I have to wonder if it depends somewhat on the poor, the working poor, and I'm guessing older people. So long as they exist, mayhaps, by-appointment TV will survive. By that I mean: not all can afford data plans, cable, internet, or Netflix and the rest. What else is available to such folks but over-the-air, by-appointment television? I believe that's more-or-less what I read somewhere, not so long ago.

Perhaps by-appointment, traditional television will persist as long as that demographic persists in significant enough numbers?

thats true that you can get an antenna and it's free to watch television and listen to radio.
great point. its like how we used to all drink water for free out of the faucet and now we pay for plastic bottles

I don't think it has anything to do with the platform, but the content the platform offers. The only thing I watch on tv anymore is the news and SNL. Why pay a cable bill when SNL puts full episodes on YouTube, NBC and my local news station have an app, and there's no shortage of selection on Netflix. Also radio isn't dead, it's just free.

this thread is awesome
o.png

Back