Recording interior of car

So my friends recently talked about making a podcast of our conversations in the car. I personally think it's kinda stupid but It's something that sounds kinda cool so I agreed. Now I don't know how to get our voices clearly. I have blue snowball with a shockmount, a blue yeti, and a rode videomic. So what microphone do you think I should use? Where should I put it(it's a ford escape)? Should I use a laptop to record it?

Use one mic on each person, get the mics in close. Otherwise you're going to have a combination of variable volume levels and different amounts of background noise on each person.

Are you shooting visuals also?

I am not getting visuals. I would like to but they were completely against it. I don't think I'm gonna mic everyone up because it's literally just a thing were gonna do in a carpool 30 minute drive we do everyday on the way to rowing. But where do you think I should put the mic, I think I'm going with the snowball because it has a shockmount.

There are just too many issues to resolve if you use a single mic. No matter where they sit your passengers are all facing forward. So if you put the mic on the center of the dashboard no one will be speaking directly into the mic; those in the back seat will be quite far away, and have the seats, the driver and front seat passenger between them and the mic. If you move the mic towards the back of the car (we'll ignore how/where you mount it...) you'll pick up more of the folks in the back seat but less of those in the front who will be much more off-mic unless they turn their heads - something dangerous if the drive turns his head to speak.

And none of those issue take into account that the vehicle is actually moving. Now add in the engine noise, tire noise, wind noise (even with the windows closed) and noise created by the vehicles around you. You're going end up with faint, boxy, off-axis voices with all sorts of extraneous noise.

Yeah I guess I'll might being two mics for front and back I guess. Yeah mounting is gonna be a problem but I think it's nothing that some tape can't fix. But anyway thanks for the help

Tape a lav/s to the rear view, or the dash (perhaps hidden in the vents). Back seat, under the front seat head rests. Works like a champ… or just clip them to your subjects and let it rip! Zoom in the middle of the car and one L/R input for each subject.

The documentary I have just finished had a huge amount of in car discussion. We used a Tascam dr-05 on both myself and the other person with a lav mic on our collars plugged into each.

Watch for the seatbelt moving near the mic though, we had some slight issues with that.

Back