StartUp

Alright guys need help again. I haven't started anything yet but am finishing my movie script atm so I still have time. I'm waiting to finish High School before getting TOO involved in film. The thing is, what do I need to make a feature?

What do I need to start? What is celestial to good quality, good sound, and good lighting and movement? If you could give specific things with brand/name that would be great if not give me what you got.

I want to know what YOU would use. I want to know what the Indie Filmmakers of the world are using but again remember, this is for a HIGH SCHOOL kid planning on starting, I mean REALLY starting, when he goes off to college.

Last edited:
There's a plethora of info on these Threads, but it all depends on what you want to do. If you simply want to stick with MiniDV, then you'll just need an NLE like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premeire, etc for editing, make sure your PC and graphics card can handle any post production like Visual Effects using After Effects (or other compositing software) if you'll be adding effects later. One of many things thing I've learned in these Threads is you'll need a decent lighting kit, something I don't currently have. That's the basics I believe, but I'm sure some one else will add more. Stick around, search the Threads, and ask, believe me, you'll find whatever you're looking for here. As for preference, that's kinda like asking what color is everybody's favorite color? You'll get varying answers based on preference, type of work and experience.

Well, I don't think it helps you in any way if we tell you you need the biggest and baddest camcorder, a 5000$-mic and a lightning kit as expensive as a car.
In my opinion you can make good movies with very little budget. Just get a camcorder, a sub 1000$ miniDV is just fine, a decent mic (sound makes up at least 50% of the film) and start filming!
Maybe doing a full feature for your first film is a bad idea. I think you can lean much more when you do lot's of shorts. With short films you can experiment and try out new stuff - that way you'll learn very fast.

Hope I could help,
Thom

Maybe doing a full feature for your first film is a bad idea. I think you can lean much more when you do lot's of shorts. With short films you can experiment and try out new stuff - that way you'll learn very fast.

i am going to agree with this...go out and start making shorts...or try to shoot a scene from your film...its a great way to start experimenting on what works and what doesnt...what you think you will need to focus more on....post it up there for others to see and get input from others as well...

taking on a feature length project in a huge task for the first time out of the box...i would do a lot of testing before starting such a project..

be well and start shooting

The only equipment you REALLY need to get started is a pen and paper. All the other equipment comes later. But without a good story to tell first, it won't matter if you have a $5000 camera or a $500 camera. Start by thinking about what story you want to tell, then flesh it out. Then consider how you'd tell the story visually. Then write a screenplay, or an outline, or draw some pictures of your scenes. Always remember that great movies are merely great stories well told. Good luck!

What do I need to start? What is celestial to good quality, good sound, and good lighting and movement?
You need a camera. Any camera with a mic input will do. You'll find several
threads here with camera details. If you can't find them let me know and
I'll post my list of cameras.

You'll need a shotgun mic - you'll find several threads here with mic details.
If you can't find them let me know and I'll post my list of mics.

You'll need a few lights. Five or six “scoop lights” - those clamp on work lights with
the silver reflector will do just fine. Add a paper lantern or two (you can get them
at Ikea) and some colored gels and you have a nice, cheap light kit.

Nowadays footage shot on consumer camera can take you a long way. When you do look into getting a camera, a handheld HD can be one the most versatile out there. The Canon HV20 and HV30 have produced excellent results and many indie film makers love it. It runs around $800, but prices vary hundreds of dollars depending where you purchase. I got my Canon HF100 for $550 of amazon.com and saw i for $900 at BestBuy.

Additionally, there are some great 35mm adapters in the market for Canon cameras with the HV20/30 in mind. The encinema35 www.vid-atlanitc.com can be bought for $220 and allows you to attach Canon EOS still lenses to your HD camera. Check out some of the test footage on there. You can get rolling with a great picture for less than $1000.

That said, I wouldn't mess with lenses and adapters until you can nail down some good sound. Getting a solid shotgun for boom use is the most versatile way to go. Then getting wired mics later can help add to your sound versatility for wider shots.

I don't know much about lighting, but it seems there are easier cost effective solutions there.

Lastly. Why not start getting into it NOW? Even taking your mom and dad's camcorder and shooting stuff with friends, you can still learn a lot about framing shots and directing, script writing, and then one the toughest parts:editing and post-production.

Go check out the Wellstone Pictures ( youtube.com/user/wellstonepictures ) channel on youtube. These are some high school kids that have some real potential and do it all with a handycam and Sony Vegas.

Good luck and happy filming.

Back