What do you think of this shooting approach?

In my experience in editing, picking a take can come between two choices. Picking for the best performance, or picking for the best camera angle that suits the emotional moment.

Sometimes though, if I want to use a master to convey certain emotion for example, I am told by others to use certain close up takes, because those ones have better acting. And there are other times I really want to use a close up, but the masters have better acting, and am advised to use them therefore.

I think the reason is, is because the mastershots were shot first, and I moved in for the OTS and close ups after. However, if I am shooting a scene where I want it to be a wide master for style, for most of the scene, should I have my actors, do the master shot takes last? Should I operate every scene shoot like this, where if there is certain types of shots you want to use for most of the scene compared to others, I should do those last, if the acting will likely better, since they would have warmed up likely?

What do you think?

Last edited:
If you're not getting the performance you need in the master shot, why are you moving on to the coverage? This is doubly so if you think you'll mainly want to use the master.

Could be a lack of rehearsals?

Okay thanks. I think my problem might be that I tend to get actors to perform the scene in a variety of different ways. Sometimes I will do takes where they are more subtle, and others, where they go in different emotional directions. Then in editing, I get stuck to one type of performance, or others will tell me to go for that.

Do you think that I should have it rehearsed so the actor will play the scene in one way only for every take, therefore, every take can be good, and no one will be partial to a particular take? Or perhaps a could plan the angles based on the type of performance for each take. If I want an actor to try something different, I should change angle, if I decide to change emotion in the character. Changing angle to fit emotion, rather than just going with the angle on the storyboards. What do you think?

While it's ok to have options in post, when you're directing, do you ever have a vision to how you see your film? Why don't you try to accomplish that vision?

As for actors wanting to try something different. There are some ways to do it. I suggest getting those ideas out of the way in rehearsals. Sometimes ideas don't come up until on set. If you have enough time, feel free to try what they want, though it has to fit within your vision.

Back