• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing in Songs

I am writing a feature length screenplay and can't help but insert specific songs I feel would fit into the picture. Now I know that the professionals would tell me to leave it out and let the Director make those choices, but I can't help it!

I was wondering what other screenwriters think about this.

I think that as long as you understand "why" professionals would
tell you to not include songs in a script but you still choose to do
it, then you should write in all the songs you want.

As a screenwriter who is also a producer, I'd point out that many (all?) of the songs you're likely to include would be very expensive to license. So even if a director agrees with your choices, they may be prohibitively expensive.

If it has to do with the scene and the music is playing in the scene, you can write it in. Example, dude breaks up with a girl named Sarah, walks into bar to forget troubles, and Sarah by Toto is playing. I would only play that card once, if at all. If it is soundtrack, and the characters do not hear, no! Leave it out.

I haven't read your example but as rik says, if you have a reason for breaking a rule, go for it. The important thing is, you know why you are breaking it, like the 180 degree rule for cinematographers.

I don't know what the appropriate response is, but if you look at a movie like the Big Short, the writers put in music all the way through.

They used this format: "MUSIC: Some great 70’s ballad like KISS YOU ALL OVER by EXILE".

Here is the context so I can justify my screenplay wrongdoings. :)
I haven't seen a screenplay in that Syd Filed 1970's style since the mid 90's.
It is difficult to read.

This is a great example of why you shouldn't write songs into a screenplay.
It doesn't matter to the story what song is playing in the night club.

But as I said, if it is that important to you to mention the Chris Brown
song then it's your choice. You know why you shouldn't.

Back