UK Public liability and indemnity insurance.

I've just been getting into the nitty-gritty of gaining permission from some of the locations I want to film at.

The first one went fine, "shoot wherever you want as long as it is listed as Open Access on the latest OS Explorer maps." - Great!.

Second place, "preliminary approval, however you would require £5 million worth of Public liability and indemnity
Insurance." - Hmm.

Before I start my long trawl through the internet trying to work out how much this means, does anyone know of a good place, for an independent no-bugdet film, to get the relevant insurance.

I would only need this insurance for a few days - a week at the most. I can't imagine I'd be in a high risk group, no effects or action, filming in a rural area with minimum contact with the general public.

Any suggestions?
Steven

I'd check with your local film office (city hall wise) and ask about permits. I know $1million Canadian costs something like $200-300 a day or something to that tune. 5mil might be a bit more hefty. Have you considered going Guerilla style and packing tasers to take out security? Ask yourself... what would Jack Bauer do? (24)

I had thought of going in guerrilla style. However the converted black steel tube table legs that we are using as weapons props means that we have to inform the police when we are shooting. And I imagine one of the first questions they will ask is "do you have permission?".

I'm looking for an insurance company that doesn't just assume you're John Woo and charge you accordingly.

Cheers
Steven

Hmmmm.... interesting. I have been filming in the uK for years and NEVER came across Public Liability issues. That doesnt mean they weren't there but I never had them as an issue.

Things I awlays do is first contact the company or place and get them to agree. Secondly get them to sign a waiver to make sure if anything does happen you dont get sued.

As for insurance you can get £5million liability for around £750-2000k depending where you go. SHOULD you get is the question adn I'd say no. Film in locations you can get and dont put your money to expensive insurances you do not need, but into the film.

"£750-2000k" is that for just a few days of 'low risk' (no effects, no action) filming?

£750 would be too much for my budget, especially considering the location was 'nice to have, but not essential'. If I can't get the insurance lower, I'll either have to scrub the location or get back in contact with them to see if they are a bit flexible, due to the fact that I don't have any money and I won't be causing any disruption or damage.

Steven

Indeed. I have had public locations to film in and never come across this.

Best bet is always to underplay what you are doing. Say you are making a feature film and they think Hollywood. Say its a student film and you'll ALWAYS get away with much more (even guns and stuff with the Police).

I always start every phone call with "My name is..., I'm a local independant filmmaker..." I've always gotten good responses with that. I then explain the project and the role their location will play in the movie. I've gotten extras from locations that way too :)

Unfortunately no luck with my "independent filmmaker with no money" explaination. I think someone must have sued them in the past, or they've got an over active legal department.

No worries, the other locations seem to be fine.

Steven

One of my other locations just confirmed permission, whilst doing so they just happened to mention that some of the location will be on fire at the time (controlled burning), would it matter if it was in shot?

I nearly wet myself, I don't need insurance and free special effects!!!

I don't need to be anywhere near the fire for it to work in the background. The shot would cost thousands if you were to stage it (if you could get permission at all).

I'm off now to redo my storyboards.

Steven

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I was unable to utilise the burning location.

In the end I was able to piggy back on a friends company insurance. However I discovered that when I referred to myself as an amateur filmmaker, rather than independent, no one bothered to ask for insurance, even locations with media offices. Also I found the police to be very helpful, even though my actors were carrying prop weapons.

Steven

Teh police are VERY helpful if they talk to each other. if they dont you end up with a SWAT/armed response team pointing Subs at you.

which isnt THAt much fun. And even worse the second time...

Back