Film as a vehicle for philosophy - "The Ledge"

I love me a little philosophical discussion, especially when it pertains to film. Just watched THE LEDGE with Charlie Hunnam (green street hooligans), Liv Tyler, Patrick Wilson (the watchmen), and Terrence Howard. Director Matthew Chapman has said that the film's Suspense/Thriller story, which I thought was tremendous, is really a vehicle to address some deeper philosophical questions, namely:

• How can evil exist in the world if God is perfect, and moreover how can it exist if God is a loving god?

• What drives an atheist to sacrifice his or her life (for another person), when faced with the notion that God does not exist? i.e. Why act selflessly?

The clip below is a scene from the film where the "problem of evil" is addressed. Pretty cool scene. And Charlie Hunnam's character poses a pretty tough dilemma for the man of faith. Both of these guys were awesome in the film btw. Anyone care to take a stab at either of these issues? I'd love to get a little film-based philosophical chatter going...

Clip from the film - "What did God Do To You?": https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1344744395085&oid=170693459636008&comments

The film releases July 8, but it's showing now on SundanceNOW.com until May 25, as a sneak preview.

The_Ledge_filmstill2_PatrickWilson_byCookAllender-550x365.jpg

Very, very interesting. I posted it to my facebook feed. I'm a very adamant Christian, but I find that many of the "answers" that Christians claim to have are ultimately unfounded presumptions, wishful thinking, or complete evasions. I won't get into a big spiel here, but I totally connect with the themes in that clip, and I'd love it if people started using film as a platform for argumentative philosophy more often. I think that watching these sort of clips not only forces you to THINK about why you believe something (or if you SHOULD believe it), but is also cathartic. So many people get hugely angry over face-to-face conversations on such topics, and most of the time, it only leads to a defensive reflex that is antithetical to the open-minded logic that we should be operating in.

Very cool.

Back