• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can't convey ideas onto the page

I've had writers block for a few months now and I could really use a hand, I just graduated high school not so long ago. I had lots of classes that gave me the opportunity to write. but now that I'm out of school and working full time as an application designer to pass the time and save money I am having a lot of trouble getting my ideas onto the page. I still have ideas and inspiration and I can imagine the scenes in my mind and if I just don't write anything down and just start recording I can get what I like. but I would like it better if I were able to convey my ideas on paper. so I feel like I'm feeling half of writer's block. I feel like I'm just unable to properly explain and have the audience and reader see the same as I do.

This is probably nothing and the answer will just be to continue writing and it'll work out with more experience, but since I'm human I'm looking for fast results :lol:

Also I think this is my first post. so uh hi

Try storyboards. You have a visual mind, and this will help. Once you have the boards complete, you can translate to a script.

Hi, the answer is in your post. You say you "can imagine the scenes in your mind". So, describe in detail these scenes. Start from the begging, describe the movie you have in your mind. Imagine that you are watching the movie in the theater and write down what you see.

following a proper screen play format will help you "distill" your ideas.

1. Describe Setting
  2. Describe action going on right now
  3. If you have to, and only as a last resort, allow your characters to speak.

Back