tv Live TV dead as radio

sfoster

Staff Member
Live TV will soon be as dead as radio IMO

Recent study says only 39% of people <=34 years old prefer live television and the majority want to stream everything instead

Excellent shows coming out of these different streaming network

1) Impulse exclusive to Youtube Red - A high school teenage girl begins developing mutant powers. Elsewhere in the world are adult mutants using bad ass (bourne identity director) powers and fight sequences. And the audience is waiting for the kid gloves to come off and that teenage girl to be thrown into the deep end.

2) Star Trek Discovery exclusive to CBS app - A great re-imagining of the series with some episodes giving dramatic storyline changes big enough to make this series feel like a movie instead of television. It's interesting that CBS didn't put this on television. I think they know that live TV is not the future and once they get multiple seasons and a few more shows people will start subscribing to cbs app.

3) Bojack Horseman, Frontier, Glow, Marvel etc exclusive to netflix - say no more

4) Amazon paying hundreds of millions for the rights to LOTR some great stuff is coming.

I think this is a perfect evolution, people used to complain that when they bought a cable package they got 700 useless channels they didn't want to pay for. Now your cable package will become a personalized selection of the streaming networks that best interest you.

Radio has it's place .. but families don't gather around the radio to be entertained in the evening like days of old

Radio has it's place .. but families don't gather around the radio to be entertained in the evening like days of old

Yup, after radio they gathered around the television……

Before radio people gathered together and entertained themselves with singing (which is why it was so important to play a musical instrument), telling stories, playing card and board games, going on family "outings" like picnics, etc., etc., etc. Technology was simpler and the pace of life was a lot slower.

Pretty sure families gathering around the TV for the nightly shows was the 1950s... :P

"Live" will always be needed for sports and for some news. Entertainment can be streamed anytime. Cable/sat companies need to wake up before everyone cuts the cord. Their holdouts are people with sports packages but of course they are paying premiums for all the other channels they are forced to have. The business model is dying, everyone is jumping ship, and they can't make money off of sports and news peeps only-- they need to rethink the cable structure.

They don't act like they are losing money but they are worried. I see new cable/sat options soon. So people can have their live TV and internet at a very affordable rate, choosing only what they need. The way subscription services are doing it. So pairing can happen. They need to see that, and then everyone makes money because we can afford to pair services based on our habits and likes.

Maybe we'll get SportFlix soon and stream all those live sports

As far as news though, by the time anchors get in their seat and start chattering away most of us already heard about the story online. News source is easily replaced in our new generation and credibility of anchors doesn't mean much when you have people lying on air just like brian williams did.

I cut the cord to the landline phone over a decade ago. People still hang onto things like cable because they are afraid of drastic change. But I see a major shakeup soon. Sling is owned by DirecTV. THAT was smart. But now they need to address DirecTV. Etc.

I like having cable tv for the ambiance.. that's one thing netflix is missing, you've always got to micromanage the hell out of it. Selecting exactly what episode of what show to play, and then it'll stop and ask you if you're still watching. I wish they would 'simulate' a live channel or two sometimes.

A Variety cover story on the latest Star Trek [discovery] franchise revealed just how much each episode of the series costs to make — between $8 and $8.5 million, making the show one of the most expensive in television history.

And this is a show made by cbs.. that WASN'T ON CBS TELEVISION!!
they definitely believe change is coming

You need exclusive content, hook viewers in now, before the internet is flooded with so many different streaming providers.

I used to like to veg out with TV on, flip channels, and just leave it on some rerun like Law & Order.

That's a show I would never stream. Like you said it's ambiance. TV on, veg out, don't have to follow the story, or seen it before don't care, etc.

But lately even that I do not do. My TVs been off for about a month. I had it on for World Cup the other day.

Going to bed earlier, busy during day, is one reason. The other is... it gets stale fast. But streaming is more of a chore like you said. I don't have "shows" I am addicted to like other people. TWD, etc. I watch Impractical Jokers and Shark Tank lol!

Hah thats funny man like 90% of my ambiance is trutv and impractical jokers
Show is so fucking genius considering how little it costs and how easy it is to film.

Radio is still alive and kicking though, and profitable (some territories more so than others). If radio can survive over half a century of disruption from TV, iTunes, streaming, podcasts etc. then there may still be some hope for terrestrial tv...

I like having cable tv for the ambiance.. that's one thing netflix is missing, you've always got to micromanage the hell out of it. Selecting exactly what episode of what show to play, and then it'll stop and ask you if you're still watching. I wish they would 'simulate' a live channel or two sometimes.

Currently streaming services seem to be focussed around binge-watching but it won’t take long (I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already) for them to implement auto playlists, which would essentially simulate traditional television.

You could pick your personalised playlist based on your mood, for example.

Once that is much more common, reasons for watching traditional TV start to dwindle...

Last edited:
What word should I have used instead of dead in my title?

I’m just saying - radio is hardly dead, even though it’s place and it’s programming is vastly different from the 1940s. Network TV is still quite profitable and watched by millions.

The industry is slowly changing, but I think it’s human habits that allow (in part) old mediums to continue to prosper. Radio, for example, is still alive because it’s the most convenient way to listen to music in the car. Similarly, houses are still centred around a television - and whilst that television continues to easily and conveniently serve traditional terrestrial tv in a ‘passive’ setting it’s likely TV will hang around. Plus network and cable television still make great content, which always helps.

I wouldn’t be surprised if news television shifts online, however whether that’s a good thing or bad thing is hard to know....

Ohh damn I forgot to mention Disney.

Disney owns such an obscene amount of content.. they'll be one of the biggest streaming platforms.

Mainstream rock music is dead. Station formats changed to classic, rap and pop. But as far as I know radio is alive and well. Mostly for people who drive. I don't listen, don't have a car. And if I did, no rock stations. So I may think radio is dead, but really, that's rock. Ha. ;)

Back