Copyrighting and WGA

I just finished my first feature and am unsure what to do afterards. I understand that the chances of somebody stealing my work may be slim but I still would like to have some sort of peace of mind. I just completed the script and currently a friend of mine, who is a published author, is editing the script. Should I copyright it now or wait till he is finished. Should I copyright it or register it with the WGA?

If you're in the USA, it's copyrighted the moment you create it. If you want to register it at the US Copyright Office, you can do that. And/or you can register it at the Writer's Guild. And/or you can do neither. It's copyrighted regardless.

I would wait to register it until you intend to actually send it out.

Oops, duplicate post.

If you're in the USA, it's copyrighted the moment you create it. If you want to register it at the US Copyright Office, you can do that. And/or you can register it at the Writer's Guild. And/or you can do neither. It's copyrighted regardless.

Right. You have copyright to your material as soon as pen leaves paper. It doesn't even have to be finished.

Registering it with the guild offers absolutely no protection of it from being stolen. Any "peace of mind" by registering it will be an illusion. Sorry.

Good luck.

Registering it with the guild offers absolutely no protection of it from being stolen.

That's right.

If someone steals your idea there is nothing you can do about it because you cannot copyright an idea.

If someone steals your plot there is nothing you can do about it because you cannot copyright a plot.

If someone steals your title there is nothing you can do about it because you cannot copyright a title.

If someone likes your script they will just buy it from you, because:

A. You're an unknown writer, so they can get it for a song.

B. It's much cheaper than hiring another writer to rewrite it (though they may end up doing that anyway).

C. It's much simpler than risking being taken to court about it.

Should I copyright it or register it with the WGA?
NEVER EVER save the $20 (or whatever it is) by registering with the WGA. They DESTROY the copy of your script that you send them after 5 years. The WGA is useless and pointless!
ALWAYS register with the Library of Congress! They don't destroy your script!

Getting the paper copy of your copyright certificate is taking longer and longer. But, it is the best available protection for your work.

Lawyers have recommended to me to always do both: register with WGA and Copyright a script. But, copyright the film

Distributors will seek to eventually own the Copyright. You will need a lawyer to work out the transfer of copyright for a fee. You can always license the rights.

In most cases, this is getting ahead of the game realizzing how hard it is for indie filmmakers to find distributors.

When you work with SAG and other unions, the copyright certificate is all that matters as to who owns the material.

I would wait to register it until you intend to actually send it out.

Oops, duplicate post.

True and not true. You do hold the copyright once you complete a work. However, whose to say somebody else doesn't come along and claim it as theirs? How do you prove copyright ownership? If you don't register you're in no better position than the other person claiming the work as theirs. What's to stop them from registering with the Copyright Office, if they know you didn't. Now the proof is on their side, and you're pretty much SOL.

You can register with the Copyright office online. It took me 2 months to get my certificate, and I even had issues with my initial registration document, so I had to amend it.

True and not true.
Well, no, actually what I wrote is 100% true.

How do you prove copyright ownership?
There are myriad ways, and I know of no precedent that backs up your hypothetical. If you know of one, I'd be interested to hear about it.

At any rate, I'm NOT telling anyone not to register their screenplays. If it makes them feel better, they should by all means DO IT! :)

I am reading on the Internet about this same question elsewhere and the very valid concen of what a court recognizes in a legal battle all point to the US Copyright Office's certificate with a printed date as the one document a court will recognize.

Back