Television broadcasts within films - How can I sync a recording to a TV?

An important part of the plot for my current film is what the character sees on his TV set, both video recordings and supposedly 'live' TV broadcasts such as news programming. One technical process that I need to understand properly is how best to show this through a television set, hopefully in a more sophisticated manner than simple VHS/DVD recordings or component cable streaming.

I have the footage I intend to relay on the character's television set in digital files stored on a desktop PC. They are transferable, but the major issue is actually showing them on the TV. How can they be 'broadcast' authentically? A potential pitfall to this is the chronological setting - the film takes place in 1988 and the TV set is likely to be either a 1988 Toshiba or a slightly newer Sanyo television, neither of which were built with digital devices beyond the humble VCR in mind.

Any advice is appreciated. This is a very low-budget and incredibly independent production, likely to be a two-person production team (the same for post-production) and a cast of non-professional actors not exceeding 10-15. Thanks in advance.

Jack

Does the TV have an RCA input?

I'd say get the image on the TV any way you can, but make sure to do all your audio in post production. So if you're capturing dialog on set, make sure the TV is turned down when recording.

Yes both potential sets have a three-line RCA input (we colloquially call it a 'scart socket' here). Post-production dubbing will probably be necessary, the footage I intend to use is composed primarily of ITN and BBC News broadcasts from 1988. They are good quality, sourced from online archives etc but recording the sound on set would be a bad idea.

The main difficulty will be streaming them from a laptop computer to be shown on the TV without getting the laptop in shot. I've always wanted to know how fake TV broadcasts are done in film productions, especially before the advent of VCRs and DVRs.

I have no idea how they used to do this, but are you so set against burning a DVD and playing it through the set? This would be the easiet solution, and you could maybe hide the DVD player in a cabinet or something.

Slightly off topic, but do you have permission to use the actual TV broadcasts?

I'm not sure of the technical stuff but I dare say someone wil lbe along to advise you on TV flicker/strobe effect etc.

Actual sound from tv put on in post sounds the way to go too...

All the best, Jim.

Back