• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch SHERYL'S KEYOSK - a short doc

I have some crappy news to share...

Sheryl called me yesterday to tell me that her shop was broken into a robbed Tuesday night. This will be the 9th time since she's been at that location, the last time was three years ago.

They took her key machine, all the boxes of blanks and other items. Of course this is terrible news anytime of year, but especially terrible the week before Christmas.

She has a spare key machine in storage that will do the trick before she gets a new one, although it's the loss of blank stock that really hits her hard.

Proof that bad things really do happen to good and kind people.

I'm trying to think of how I might put together some sort of fundraiser to help her offset some of the costs of getting back on her feet. Not sure how that would take shape yet, just a thought for now.

Her insurance only covers a loss of up to $500 which isn't much.

Wish I had better tidings to share.

I've also been down with the flu and trying to get back to health so haven't been around much.

I have some crappy news to share...

Sheryl called me yesterday to tell me that her shop was broken into a robbed Tuesday night. This will be the 9th time since she's been at that location, the last time was three years ago.

They took her key machine, all the boxes of blanks and other items. Of course this is terrible news anytime of year, but especially terrible the week before Christmas.

She has a spare key machine in storage that will do the trick before she gets a new one, although it's the loss of blank stock that really hits her hard.

Proof that bad things really do happen to good and kind people.

I'm trying to think of how I might put together some sort of fundraiser to help her offset some of the costs of getting back on her feet. Not sure how that would take shape yet, just a thought for now.

Her insurance only covers a loss of up to $500 which isn't much.

Wish I had better tidings to share.

I've also been down with the flu and trying to get back to health so haven't been around much.

Grab the camera and mics, film this. It'll potentially add to your film and draw attention to her plight.

I wonder if kickstarter will let you launch a campaign to restock the store? Add a shortened version of your current video with some shots of the after-robbery damage (great idea Brian) and put it all together with links to the full documentary and what not.

I think you'd be able to raise quite a bit with people getting to know her through your doc!

I'm going down to the shop today to see if there's anything I can do. I think one of the local papers wants to write something up about the doc and now, unfortunately, the break in. I did contact the VCStar about it.

I'll keep you posted.

At this point I'll donate the money I get from DVD sales to Sheryl. That's a start.

I stopped by the shop, Sheryl wasn't around, found this.

sk-breakin-web.jpg

Updated the website http://sherylskeyosk.info

This is a horrible, horrible thing. It's good she has backup equipment and at least a little bit of insurance money. Hopefully they'll catch whoever did this. It's a shame the days of stocks and pillory are long since over. Some people need a little public humiliation.

I also hope she didn't lose her collection of unusual keys that she talks about in the documentary. Stuff like that just can't be replaced.

Oh, and I also hope the flu is defeated soon!

I just sent a few emails out with even more bad news. Incredible.

Sheryl just called again, but this time it wasn't about the break in. It was about getting a letter from Don Carlton Realty stating that they are not renewing her lease for 2012 and want her to vacate the shop by the end of January. I am not joking. Once I get a copy of the letter I will post it on the website.

Apparently Sheryl has no say in the matter and they are showing no signs of flexibility in their decision. We don't know if they are replacing her tenancy with another business or razing the "keyosk" altogether.

This news comes after having her store broken into and robbed the week before Christmas. Could things get any worse? Let's hope not.

One of the local newspapers The Ventura Breeze is interested in doing a story about Sheryl and I will be shooting more video at the key shop as depressing as it may be. It is part of her story and I need to be present and rolling video wherever and whenever I can.

I am grateful to have captured Sheryl's story when it wasn't so tumultuous since I'm beginning to feel like making the documentary has cursed her business. I know this isn't the case, but it would be nice to point the finger at the culprit for all this bad news.

I will be updating the website http://sherylskeyosk.info as best I can and may be creating a blog at some point.

Thank you for your involvement and interest.

Regards,

Jeff

Bloody hell. This keeps getting worse.

Hopefully, your coverage and the news coverage could help.

You know where to let me know in case i can help in some way.

I swear I am not making this up, although I wish I were...

Went down to the shop with the camera (courtesy CamVader, thank you) thinking that Sheryl might be there picking up the pieces, sorting though things. She wasn't, gave her a ring... her mom had a stroke and is in the hospital. She can't make a fist with her right hand, but apparently she will be there one more day and then can go home.

picture.php

Sheryl's mom at 1:45 min in the doc.

I am not a religious man at all, but I might just start praying for Sheryl. If anyone has some holiday goodwill to spare and the spirit moves you, please feel free to put a stamp on it and pop it in the post.

While I was shooting some footage several customers walked up to the window, read the sign, and walked away without keys. I spoke with one woman who knows Sheryl very well and had been getting keys made there for the past 9 years or so. Needless to say she was alarmed to hear about all that is going on in Sheryl's world.

Thanks for checking in.

Just got word that they are indeed tearing down the "keyosk." Sadness! Cameras will be rolling when the bulldozers doze. :(

In better news, Sheryl DID find a place to land just across the street from the parking lot, so chances are good that she won't lose many customers at all. :)

SK-Relocating-newaddress.jpg

Never thought I'd be as involved with Sheryl and this project as I am. The story continues...

http://sherylskeyosk.info

Yeah Cam. It was about time.

Yes, very good news indeed. This was definitely one of those darkest before the dawn scenarios. But things have turned around for sure.

Back