Generator

Confess I know nothing about generators. I simply need something that will keep 3, 800w tungsten redcaps alive outside. Sure, I know there are issues around sound but I do not even know where to start!

Anyone recommend a couple of generators?

do the math..

800w times 3 = 2400w

Thats not much.. but know that cheap cords will eat some of it, so bets to lok for 2 times what you need, that's still only 5Kw or so. Probably easy to find a 5Kw generator

You might be better with two or three smaller generators depending on how your going to use it. That said, there is no such thing as a quiet generator, so either you move it a LONG ways away (more cable eating more of your wattage) or you just accept it and plan on ADR\wild for everything you shoot around the running generator.

That said, there is no such thing as a quiet generator

Well... there is.. Maybe not totally quiet, but you can get very quiet generators, they just cost 5 times more.

Of course, with a standard generator you have to remember that the longer you run a cable, the more line loss you get. Should be fine with a 5Kva running to redheads, but make sure you keep it in mind.

Here's something you really need to know: Fuel consumption.

Math:

Flathead engine generator (cheapo): 5,000 watts x 5 gallons = 5 hours of operating time.

Overhead cam engine: 5,000 watts x 5 gallons = 12 hours of operating time

You can always put sound blankets around them (in one direction, not cover them). I understand that generators are typically kept quite a distance away from the scene, so you might want to find out about the cabling and mechanics of that for 2400W plus (i'm sure you'll be putting other things into the power outlets)

So I could buy a 7000w generator (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gasoline-...trial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item48711fe7ec)

Then connect 3 redcaps somehow. Once they are connected, I was reading they can have a max power 'need' of 4,800w (due to something with electricity I don't understand) and the generator could produce an output as low as 5,400w.

Then there is a little bit of line loss - let's say another 600w meaning if all three redcaps were at max output, there was an electricity issue I don't understand and there is an issue around electrical resistance (or whatever it's called), 7,000w would cover it all.

OK. That works. Now I need to figure out how to connect the redcaps and somehow deal with the noise.

EDIT: Doesn't work. Apparently this thing is louder than an army firing range on artillery day. Nothing will dampen the noise to an acceptable level short of putting it in a different country or ADRing everything. Am looking at dampened systems which are rather expensive.

Last edited:
Back