• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Can you tell what's going on?

I think I'm finally getting an idea between Us Sinners Lovers and Haters. I finally got two haters to talk to me and I asked them a few questions which they got completely wrong.

Now, I need to know if it's my fault as the movie-maker, or they' just didn't get it.

Below is a link to a clip (1:27) could you watch it and answer two questions.

First the set-up: Tim gets no respect from his co-workers, they call him Weird Tim. Louise is a new employee, and she defends Tim. So, he likes her. He's been killing prostitutes and their body parts have been popping up around town.

Tim and Louise are waiting at the elevator to go home.
Melissa (blond) and Patty enter.

FYI: Writing the letter may seem weird, I cut out that entire sequence. It's not important for these two questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWpvtuEbIY

Question 1: Why does Tim write to the newspaper?

Question 2: Patty slams her hands on the table and says "I told you. See I told you". Tim is about to speak but gets cut-off by Melissa. If Tim had a line of dialogue what would he have said? (This is not one of the questions I asked the reviewers)

If there are responses here, please don't read them until you have your own answers.

THANK YOU!

1) 'Cos apparently that's what all the infamous serial killers do. Tim hadn't even thought about doing it, 'til Patty(?) brings it up... but thinks to himself that he should do that, if he wants to be taken seriously as a killer.

2) He was going to give himself away by saying something dumb, like "I was going to do it anyway, even if you hadn't mentioned it", or similar.

Kinda weird, though, as it looks like he's trying to address (and reaching toward) the blonde who cuts him off instead of Patty. Maybe it's the angle.

Question 1: Why does Tim write to the newspaper? Because he got the suggestion from one of the girls.

Question 2: Patty slams her hands on the table and says "I told you. See I told you". Tim is about to speak but gets cut-off by Melissa. If Tim had a line of dialogue what would he have said? (This is not one of the questions I asked the reviewers) "You called it." Because she called that he would write to the newspapers like other serial killers.

Chris

Close on the first, not on the second. I've gotten the exact correct answer from another place, so I'm not as worried as I once was. But, your answers intrigued me.

This scene as with most of the other non-violent scenes have subtle story points. In this, it's Louise that gave him the suggestion. Louise says in a CU "Oh maybe he'll send a letter to the papers". There's then a cut to a CU of Tim's face. He practically confesses when he says to Louise "You've never have anything to worry about". At lunch he would have said "No, she said it" because Patty was taking the credit for knowing what the killer was going to do. Tim then calls Louise smart. It's all about his admiration for Louise.

I'm just curious -

Zensteve: Why did you think Patty (?) gave him the suggestion and that he was pointing at the blond? Louise never even came up in your answer.

Cibao: Why couldn't you name which girl it was?

I'm asking because I'm getting ready to shoot my next movie, and while the plot-line is much more direct, if my shot selection or the way I'm presenting the scenes are confusing I'd like to correct it.

Why did you think Patty (?) gave him the suggestion

'cos Patty (the black chick, right?) brings it up to start with.

"He has to leave a calling card, right?"

She even elaborates on it, after Louise doesn't get it, with examples of what other serial killers have left behind.

and that he was pointing at the blond?

'cos it actually looks like he's pointing to (and reacting to) the blonde.

Louise never even came up in your answer.

She wasn't relevant.

Cibao: Why couldn't you name which girl it was?

I know this ain't my question, but this is a very short clip placed into a very out of context situation.

In the clip itself, there are no names mentioned at all - aside from "John", "Maggie" and "Sherlock Holmes"... none of whom are in the three shown locations, or actually seen anywhere at any point. (I'm not counting the names of all the serial killers listed off)

In the context of the entire film, I'm sure it doesn't matter. The audience has likely already been introduced to all the characters so far, know who they are, and what they are all about.

The presented clip has five characters, none of whom address anyone by their names. That makes it difficult to identify people.

I'm asking because I'm getting ready to shoot my next movie, and while the plot-line is much more direct, if my shot selection or the way I'm presenting the scenes are confusing I'd like to correct it.

Hope the shoot goes well. :)

Back