Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Pre-Production

Old 04-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

Community Project

My greatest regret, during my time on IndieTalk, has been my failure to get a community project off the ground. We came pretty close with the organ lottery project, but it never quite worked out. The past few days has seen a new member trying to get another community project off the ground, but is, I suspect, going to fall into a number of inevitable traps.

I am currently studying for the final exams of my academic career (*sob*) so am just sitting in libraries all day, every day. I'd like something to break it up a little bit (in addition to the couple of projects I am, slowly, working on). So I've come up with a new way to do a community project.

If you would like to participate in this project as a director (or in a shooting capacity), I need the following information out of you:

Quote:
What actors are at your disposal? [i.e. two men and a woman]
What locations are at your disposal? [i.e. a house, a bar, an abandoned quarry]
Can you record decent quality sound? [i.e. yes]
Please be conservative with your responses. In order for this project to be realistic and work, I need to be sure that people can (and will) shoot their scenes in the allocated manner.

Once I have a bunch of participants, I will go away and write a short script that incorporates these various shooting units into a single coherent story. I will ensure that no member has more than a maximum of two days shooting (though generally will try and keep it to what can be done in a single day). If you cannot record decent quality sound, I will give you no dialogue to shoot. Everything will be kept as simple as possible (within the constraints of a very tricky project!) so that we have the maximum chance of success.

Additionally, if you are not willing to direct (or arrange the production of) a shooting unit, there are loads of other roles that are required:

Quote:
Composer
Editor - individual units should edit their scenes but a central editor will put it all together and try and ensure that the editing matches throughout.
Post-sound
VFX - will not be VFX heavy, but we can incorporate some if there's someone who can supply the talent.
Marketing - with so many cooks, would be great to have someone responsible for pushing the film.
In order to make this attempt as successful as possible, I will only accept forum regulars into the scheme. New members (and I'm talking people who've only been around a few weeks) are welcome to input and help out, but it is of paramount importance that I know people will stick around and see their unit through to completion.

The deadline for signing up is 18th April 2014, giving people two weeks, after which we will allocate two months (and a bit) to complete production of your scenes, meaning a shooting deadline of 30th June 2014. As I have said, should be no more than a day of filming over the course of two months, so if you can't commit to that then please don't!

I really hope this works, and I think it can. Let me know if you have any thoughts and get signing up!

Current units:
David.rhsc (San Francisco, USA)
cheeseandachallenge (Wellington, New Zealand)
Cracker Funk (Richmond, USA)
wheatgrinder
Flicker Pictures (Boston, USA)
mad_hatter (Birmingham, England)
Dreadylocks (Omaha, USA)
Lucky Hardwood (New Orleans, USA)
ChimpPhobiaFilms (Ohio, USA)

Fence-sitting-maybe-merchants:
WalterB
Dreadylocks
sfoster
mad_hatter
ChimpPhobiaFilms
ItDonnedOnMe
jax_rox
Flicker Pictures

Music team
JoshL
mike mcguill

Sound team
mike mcguill

Sound maybes
AudioPostExpert
Alcove Audio

Marketing maybes
RayW

And remember to fill in this form if you want to have a shooting unit in the film!

(Of course, if you're local to an existing unit, why not team up?)

Last edited by NickClapper; 04-14-2014 at 06:26 AM.
NickClapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 04-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
WalterB
Basic Member

Sounds like a cool plan.
I will ask my 'parners in filmmaking' whether they are interested and then make an inventory.
(This is not a commitment yet )

The actors will probably be not native englisch speaking, since I'm in the Netherlands.
WalterB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
Sounds like a cool plan.
I will ask my 'parners in filmmaking' whether they are interested and then make an inventory.
(This is not a commitment yet )

The actors will probably be not native englisch speaking, since I'm in the Netherlands.
Absolutely not a problem, I'd encourage everyone to conduct the filming in their native language and we will use subtitles.

Thanks for the vote of confidence (if not a commitment yet ) Walter!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
JoshL
Basic Member

Send a message via AIM to JoshL
Definitely count me in for some music-stuff! In the spirit of community project, I think we should get as many other musicfolks to write bits, rather than one person doing the full score.
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
Definitely count me in for some music-stuff! In the spirit of community project, I think we should get as many other musicfolks to write bits, rather than one person doing the full score.
Definitely.

My personal opinion is that we should have one composer for the film, who does the film's score. Other music-folk could then (in liaison with the composer) contribute tracks, where appropriate, that could be integrated into the score or used as diegetic music.

But I think it's important to the practical reality of this project that we have one Composer who is responsible for organising their team of music-folk and putting together the film's score.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
GiovanniDragani
Basic Member

My project will not fail I can tell you that. We're just getting started...

Last edited by GiovanniDragani; 04-04-2014 at 08:26 AM.
GiovanniDragani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreadylocks
Let me think about this. I'd really love to do it, but being in a new city with no connections yet, and very little film scene to speak of (two high school kids just made the local papers and tv evening news for making a short film, if that gives you an idea) I'm still figuring out what resources I have, and if I'm going to bother cultivating connections here since we may not be staying past summer... I digress...

So the only guaranteed segment I have resources for is a very, let's call it "home-grown" one (nice apartment and myself and sean for actors). So yeah, let me think about this and I'll let you know by the deadline.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
David.rhsc
Basic Member

Put me down for arranging a shooting unit. I'll talk too my director and producer about this at our meeting on Monday, but we're chomping at the bit for narrative work and had some bids we made for commercial stuff placed on hold.
David.rhsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
mikemcguill
Basic Member

Sounds like a great idea I'd be happy to help out with post sound and/or music.
mikemcguill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I have access to a nice pool with landscaping.. but only if this gets going before late fall
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
mad_hatter
Basic - Premiere Expired

Count me as another "maybe".

Do you have any idea what you plan to write yet? A genre even?
mad_hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
ChimpPhobiaFilms
Account Disabled

I'm a strong maybe, probably... most likely. You can mark me down as a director of one of the segments. Although it would easier if you could give at least a broad idea of what the story will be. I have access to an apartment, an empty back room of a building, an abandoned quarry, the interior of a pretty nice looking house, a fairly well sized office room, as well as a forest. It's unfortunately pretty rainy and dull right now, so perhaps something drab, melancholy, deadpan, etc. etc. etc. might help. I'd prefer NOT to have to record dialogue... I recently had a horrible break off with someone I knew and no longer have any sound equipment. I'm not sure about actors, but most likely one or two male actors and perhaps a female actor. I know a talented and fast working composer on the forum who has put out some great stuff and could do wonders for the production if we can't find anyone. Oh, I'm not going to speak for him, but I have a feeling that Rayw might be able to give a hand with marketing, or at least giving advice or assisting whoever takes the role if not him. I'm looking forward to this.

Oh, and Nick, I noticed that people on this thread are from different places, and if the story somehow requires characters to be related or for the characters to be in the same location, changes in (mainly) accents, or scenery/weather might present some problems. Just thought I would bring this up.
ChimpPhobiaFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
ItDonnedOnMe
Basic - Premiere Expired

I'm pretty much in the same situation as Dreadylocks - I'd be interested but have no local resources other than myself, a small dog and my apartment at this point since I've just moved across the country. I definitely hope to have something going on in the next couple months, but it's also partially dependent on my work schedule which has been pretty busy lately. So I'll have to be a maybe for now...
ItDonnedOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDonnedOnMe View Post
I'm pretty much in the same situation as Dreadylocks - I'd be interested but have no local resources other than myself, a small dog and my apartment at this point since I've just moved across the country. I definitely hope to have something going on in the next couple months, but it's also partially dependent on my work schedule which has been pretty busy lately. So I'll have to be a maybe for now...
I'm only about two hours from you and I have a small crew. just a possibility
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
ItDonnedOnMe
Basic - Premiere Expired

Cool - that would be great if we could work together. I still haven't quite mentally adjusted to the east coast geography where going to another state isn't necessarily a whole day's drive!
ItDonnedOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote