The Big Move to Los Angeles

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm moving to Los Angeles from Philadelphia in September and I was looking for any pointers or advice from people who live out there or are in the business.

I'm currently 23 years old, and work full time saving up money for my move. I'll have a decent amount by the summer. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Finance (I always knew I wanted to do film, this was more of the safe route), and minimal to no real film experience.

What would be the best way to go about finding an internship or entry level position in the industry once I move out there?

Also, good/bad areas to look to live in or keep clear of besides the obvious?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Save your money and learn a hundred different ways to cook rice, since your budget will be tight. Most of what you will do, you will do for free. Also, at first, kiss your pride goodbye and take any posiion that gets you near a camera (personal assistant, cleaning, heck, pretty much anything) . Being polite to those around you, and doing a fine job, will go a long way, paving the way for you to take part in other activities.
This will also be a fine source of contacts, that might prove useful one day.

Welcome to indietalk.
What would be the best way to go about finding an internship or entry level position in the industry once I move out there?
The best way is to be a student at one of the top film schools
here. The studios offer around 20 internships yearly and the
students of AFI, UCLA, Columbia and USC are all jumping through
hoops and using their connections to get them.

On the other hand, there are plenty of producers who will let you
work for them for free. Not the studio producers or the high level
independent ones, but the are out there and they want as much
free labor as they can get. Not surprising, there are about 500
people in front of you wanting those non paid gigs.

Whoops, it's 550 now...

The best way to get an entry level position is to meet a lot of people
and work you ass off. There are now 600 people in front of you looking
willing to do those entry level jobs; many of them have been here in
L.A. for five years and more.

Sorry, it's 650 now...

Better make that move quick!
Hollywood, Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks. Some areas of
North Hollywood, Northridge and Reseda.

I just checked; there are now 750 people in front of you for those
entry level positions in the industry.

Welcome to Los Angeles!

Instead of an internship, have you considered being a P.A.? (directorik, should I assume that's one such position you're referring to as "entry-level"?)

I decided not to, but for a while, I was giving serious thought to trying to break into the Hollywood system by starting as a P.A. I've got a friend who's doing it, right now, and he seems to be really enjoying himself.

Some areas of
North Hollywood

NoHo is teh awesome.
smiley_colbert.gif

Hey thanks for the advice guys. But yeah that would be amazing to start out as a PA and make contacts that way. I just don't even know the best way to get started and how to obtain one.

Do I just look on all the websites like craigslist, Mandy, and all the others. Or go to the local film offices?

And then when I hand in a resume, what do I include in there if I have only helped out on a few local productions here in Philadelphia?

Two questions?

As others have asked, what do you want to do in filmmaking?

Is there no one in Philly making indie films where you can work for free and get some experience?

Here's how I see it. You have no experience. You have a job where you are. Why not get some experience locally, figure out what it is you want to do, continue working in that area of expertise, get some experience under your belt, and then move.

Here in Atlanta, at any given time there are 10s of dozens of indie shorts and features being made, always looking for free labor.

If it were me, and this is just my opinion, but I'd stay where I have a job to feed me, volunteer to work on films, and once I had found what I love to do, sharpen my chops, start charging for my work, bank that money, and then move to where it is you want to live and make movies.

Right now we've got people moving to Atlanta from LA because the film business here is booming, with both indie and studio features being shot, as well as the fact the Screen Gems recently purchased a large facility and is currently contructing a state of the art studio facility with full back lot.

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm moving to Los Angeles from Philadelphia in September and I was looking for any pointers or advice from people who live out there or are in the business.

I'm currently 23 years old, and work full time saving up money for my move. I'll have a decent amount by the summer. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Finance (I always knew I wanted to do film, this was more of the safe route), and minimal to no real film experience.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Instead of an internship, have you considered being a P.A.? (directorik, should I assume that's one such position you're referring to as "entry-level"?)
Yep. The PA is a great entry level position. The competition for
the non paying PA jobs is fierce. Imagine when the gig pays
even $75/day...

I just don't even know the best way to get started and how to obtain one.
Spend 20 minutes at a coffee shop in the L.A. area and you
will meet 15 people all trying to get PA jobs. They will all have
their stories about how they got their first job.

Do I just look on all the websites like craigslist, Mandy, and all the others. Or go to the local film offices?
You do that and much, much more.

Here in L.A. the film office is not a hiring center so that can't
help. But there are plenty of no budget movies made all the
time here. And they all are in desperate need of people who
will work for free. Once you are here you will see what I mean.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that in every coffee shop and
restaurant and bar and hotel there are people making contacts,
passing out cards, talking about their "in development" projects
and looking for work.

And then when I hand in a resume, what do I include in there if I have only helped out on a few local productions here in Philadelphia?
You put anything you feel is relevant on your resume. To be
honest, when I'm hiring PA's I rarely even look at a resume.
They don't say much. I've hired people with no experience at
all who have done a great job and I've hired film school grads
who have been terrible. And the other way around, of course.

Most of the paid gigs are by referral.

I've been here in Vegas for the past couple of days setting up
a fireworks show. There are a dozen unpaid assistants working
for their hours (to get their license) - I noticed one gal was
working her ass off - I know the production coordinator of the
Academy Awards and I know she's looking for PA's. I referred this
girl. Yesterday she told me she was hired. She's never been a PA.
If she works out it will be good for me, too. My production
coordinator friend will continue accepting my recommendations.

That's the best way. A referral.

Yep. The PA is a great entry level position. The competition for
the non paying PA jobs is fierce. Imagine when the gig pays
even $75/day...

Yikes. I'm glad I didn't make that move. All the stuff I researched online made it sound so much easier.

I am, however, very interested in getting a P.A. job on the Abe Lincoln biopic, (if) when it comes to Richmond. I figure the competition here won't be the same as in LA, for obvious reasons, plus I'd like to think I'll have a bit of leg up on my local competition. Crossing my fingers.

Well to answer everyone's question, I guess my ultimate goal would be to write/direct. I know many people will say to just start doing my own projects where I am, but in my area it's not that easy to find people who want to be involved.

Also, working full time in a non-film field takes up way too much time that I could be spending doing other things. It does pay the bills and buy me food, but it still doesn't get me any closer to doing what I actually want to do.

Would starting out as a PA help me to ultimately meet the right people in order to tackle my own projects for writing/directing?

By September, I will have between $16-20K saved up, so I will have enough money to work for free for a while.

Moving across the country or across the world is a massive leap of faith for anyone, from any walk of life and with any aspirations.

That said, whenever you read about the lives of great writers, artists, filmmakers, politicians, generals...etc, there's invariably a passage where they leave home in order to pursue their dreams. I guess that making these big decisions is difficult, but if you know that that's what you want to do there's only one option.

I think the key is networking hard and early. Call people up, write some letters (handwritten is better) and when you arrive just hang around and pester people. I'm not saying that you should be annoying but you need people to know you exist, and they won't do that if you just send anonymous emails about Craigslist postings.

I'm thinking of moving over to America this Spring/Summer. I hold dual residency so it's not a big issue, I just wonder whether it might be a better place to pick up some work. Plus Americans are a sucker for the British accent :D

I must applaud you for saving up so much money to live off of while you make contacts. That's a good move.

I would start looking into anything you can do in your city now to make contacts. The film biz can be small and somebody could know somebody. It's all about who you know and then how you use those contacts. 90% of the jobs I got in LA were based off referrals. So really start exploring anybody in media in your area. There are lots of people who have migrated back from LA or know people who have.

Try to build of some kind of skill set, even if it's only at a beginner level, to help sell your self. I recommend learning how to be a boom op. There are lots of them but not a lot of good ones and it's an easy way in.

Try the AFI. They produce a lot of student films that need crew members.

Scott

I moved to LA when I was 18. It was a thrilling experience to know that I was finally close to all the stars, filmmakers, and studios. It was not easy, but I don't regret it for a second. To save money, I decided to settle in the South Bay area. It is not as glamorous as living in Hollywood or Burbank, but the Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach is just around the corner, and I've worked there. Making connections is the key.

Whether in LA or Philly, if you're serious about being a filmmaker, you have to learn the basics. You may be unable to acquire real experience in Philadelphia, but nothing exempts you from learning some basic concepts on filmmaking. For instance, are you familiar with the three-act structure? Do you know how the f-stop affects depth of field? Do you even know what depth of field is?

These are some basic concepts that you should already master. And if you already do, then you should keep digging and reading. There's always something else to learn. I say this because the worst kind of newbie is the one that refuses to learn... someone arrogant who thinks they know enough. Keep Socrates at heart: "I know that I know nothing." Be humble. No one likes a brat.

When you move here, I would recommend attending a film school. Your classmates and instructors are great connections. You could start by impressing them and making yourself valuable. Everyone values a hard worker. This is how you get referrals. A PA job is one of the best entry-level positions. You will be working on sets and observing the filmmaking procedures and practices from the inside.

The dilemma is when to move. Right away or wait? You did right in getting a Bachelor's Degree. Waiting for the summer is reasonable. I would also suggest looking into Business Finance employment around here. Since you have a degree, your paycheck will be higher in this area... Stability is good. Then you can tackle the show business with some security. It would be great if you could find someone from Philly who's also considering moving here with a similar goal in mind. You both would split the expenses and double the odds of success. How about that?

Moving here is not a golden ticket. You will face treacherous situations and corrupt friends. The competition is fierce. You must be diligent and sociable. Perseverance is perhaps the best trait we all need. Good luck.

Gabriel

Thanks for the info Gabriel. Yes - I do know a good amount about film, story structure, photography, and so on and I continue to teach myself as much as I can learn on my own. So that's a plus but I also know that I don't know everything. Now it's just a matter of getting the experience or getting someone to give me the chance for the experience once I'm out there. I wish there was some way to show everything I know on paper when applying for a job since I lack the physical experience.

Film school has always been in my head, I just think that would drain my funds rather quickly and would take up time.

And I do plan to head put there with a friend of mine who has the same goals in mind which is the reason I'm waiting for September, so he can save up some money.

You seem to be on right track. If you are as knowledgeable as you sound, then this will shine through you when you get here.

If you plan to be a screenwriter, then you should already have some screenplays written. Taking still photos is also a good way to spice up your portfolio. I don't know how you busy yourself there in Philly, but be sure to devote some time to your dream. I don't wanna pressure or patronize you... I'm merely trying to think of ways you can use your time wisely. Living in Philadelphia is no excuse for not writing (if that's what you want to).

You could also try working at a local advertising company. It might not be as exciting, but any experience on a set and around cameras, lights, and actors is valid experience.

I'm gonna go on a tangent now, but I've also noticed that LA breathes the arts. If, for instance, you have PhotoShop skills you could work on posters. This too could be an entry-level position. If you can play instruments, so much the better. Make sure to learn Final Cut Pro. You never know who's gonna open that first door. Be ready for it.

Happy New Year!

Gabriel

Well to answer everyone's question, I guess my ultimate goal would be to write/direct. I know many people will say to just start doing my own projects where I am, but in my area it's not that easy to find people who want to be involved.
Nothing about making your own movie is going to be that easy. In
many ways it's even more difficult here. Here in L.A there are
more people who want to get involved, but there are more who have
their own projects, too.

Many people will say to just make your own project because that's
excellent advice. You have nine months before you make your move.
You could (and should) write and direct at least two short films. Of
course it's not going to be that easy finding people, but hitting L.A.
as a wannabe writer/director without a single finished movie is really
going to hinder you.

Ahh the stories I could tell of the people just like that I've
met...

Anyway, if making a few shorts isn’t that easy for you there, I hope
you find it easier here.

You’ve written several scripts, right?

Happy new year guys.

Yeah I have a number of short scripts written and then scenes and a lot of ideas written for feature length scripts. I'm weird, where before I start full head on I want to finish this one last book I'm reading on screenwriting. It's my third on the subject and I'll just feel more confident once it's done I guess. But once I'm done it's something I will spend all my free time doing, besides watching movies and continuing reading books on cinematography, film financing, and everything else I can get my hands on.

I'm actually going to be getting together with a few people every Sunday might to start writing and filming shorts, or maybe longer films filmed as chapters or something.

Working full time definately takes away time I could be learning and reading. I have a good grasp on Photoshop already and plan to start making myself with final cut, since right now I'm only proficient with iMovie.

Thank you guys again for all the advice and motivation. Any other words of advice or information is welcome.

Back