Shoulder mounts and steadicams

This might sound like a really dumb question, but i was wondering what the main differences were between a shoulder mount and a steadicam.

I'm not talking the proper big teffen steadicams but shoulder mounts and steadicams designed for dslrs and smaller cameras...like the merlin steadicams and the redrock shoulder mounts...

I know they both serve to help stabilise the image, but doesn't a steadicam do a better job at this? So then what's the advantage of a shoulder mount over a steadicam?

This might sound like a really dumb question, but i was wondering what the main differences were between a shoulder mount and a steadicam.

I'm not talking the proper big teffen steadicams but shoulder mounts and steadicams designed for dslrs and smaller cameras...like the merlin steadicams and the redrock shoulder mounts...

I know they both serve to help stabilise the image, but doesn't a steadicam do a better job at this? So then what's the advantage of a shoulder mount over a steadicam?

Well the main difference is shaking.
With the shoulder mount you get just enough shake to have a pretty cool effect, but nothing that is too bad. But you can't really sprint or anything like that.
Steadicams provide more of a... gliding look.

Tombah pretty much covered it. It's not about which is smoother, it's about getting different looks.

In a fast action scene, you might want the shaky, hand-held look to help pull the viewer into the action. So use the shoulder rig. Then there's the scene in Pulp Fiction where Butch sneaks through the apartment complex and empty lot up to his apartment. That whole thing is one long steadicam shot.

So there it is - you need to buy both :)

The poor man's steadicam is doable.. but you gotta practice, practice and still settle. Not gonna trot w/ it. There is a reason steadicams cost.. they are worth it is what this hack is a learnin'

Thanks for clearing that up, guys!

So what are some of the best steadicams for dslr's?

And the best shoulder mounts?

Zacuto are pretty popular for shoulder mounts, but unless you have more money than sense (or are going to make a living out of your gear) it's probably not the best option. RedRock make slightly cheaper products (though still high quality), but I've heard a few bad things about their follow focus. There are loads of reviews out there, so have a Google - it comes down to what you're prepared to spend and what features you need.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to camera stabilisers, but that doesn't mean you can't get acceptable results with a cheaper rig. The main decider here is camera weight - if you're using a 550D with the kit lens, a device <£100 may do the trick for you; if you want to fly a 5D or 7D with rail system, monitor and remote follow focus you'll need to spend a hell of a lot more. If I could afford it, I'd probably get a Steadicam Merlin with a vest and arm, but there are plenty of cheaper products I'd still be happy with.

The Hague Camera Stabiliser is pretty good, i use it a lot. You have to be very careful with your shots as it swings a fook load.

OR as my lecturer would say, rent it and see! You should be able to rent a Redrock or a Zacuto.

Back