• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is there a special 24 fps cinematic monitor for film editing?

No.

I saw your original post yesterday. That “soap opera” look comes from a hidden setting in many modern-day displays that adds a high refresh rate (sometimes called smooth motion or something similar). It’s really intended for gaming, not for regular TV/movie watching.

For production and post-production, as long as your camera is shooting 24p (23.976) and your editing timeline is set to the same, your external monitor should look fine... unless the high refresh rate is active. Turn that sh*t off... it’s one of the worst inventions ever.

For watching your movies later, the same applies. If it was shot, edited, and exported in 24p, it should look like 24p. If it doesn’t, there’s probably a monitor setting somewhere that’s affecting it.

Just out of curiosity, is this happening only to your own movies? Are you watching other motion pictures that look normal on the same display?

LCD and most monitors can display virtually any frame rate.

As was previously posted, the "video" look comes from a refresh rate and most will let you turn it off, or down to 24Hz to match 24P.

AcousticAl and sonnyboo, thanks for your replies to my original post. I lost hope when I did not get a reply and decided to amend the thread to ask another question instead of starting a new thread.

AcousticAl, the movies that I played on the home theatre unit as well as the Android TV box unit were all motion pictures films in digital format on a USB flash drive. I prefer to buy digital when I can to save on physical discs sitting on shelves :)

Yesterday I abandoned the home theatre and I threw the Android TV box in the garbage (it made me sick staring at it because it reminded me of the soap opera effect on some amazing movies!). I therefore went to Plan C, which was the last resort. I connected my computer to the projector via HDMI and simply played my digital movies using VLC. It worked like a charm and the same movies were now displayed in full HD with awesome 24p cinematic motion; they looked like films that you see in the cinema. It puzzles me however because when I tested the Android Box, I played the movies with VLC for Android and they still had the soap opera effect. I have therefore come to the conclusion that for digital movies sent to a projector or TV, a computer is the best option as the player's source. Maybe the codecs and the decoding process work way better on a computer/laptop than on a home theatre receiver or Android TV Box media player.

I heard some good things about the WD TV; that is a nice process. Kudos to TVs that have the feature to turn off the soap opera effect. It is a pity some projectors don't have that feature. I am happy I have found a workaround by using my computer connected to the projector.

Last edited:
Back