Organizing

I'm having a terrible time trying to organize costumes in my movie...for instance, on what days should my actress bring what costumes, etc. Are there any tips on how to do this efficiently?

For one thing, YOU should be taking the costumes home with you, not the actors.

It is during pre-production that you spend time breaking down each scene and the clothes/costumes needed for each so you can easily pull it up during production.

Good luck.

I can see how keeping this straight in your head can be overwhelming.

One solution is to create a simple database that lists everything you need for each scene. This is called a breakdown. You can do it on paper, or with a computer. I prefer the software method.

Breakdown the script in something like Final Draft Tagger or EP Schedule. You can call out everything you need for each scene, actors, props, stunts, cars, set dressing and also wardrobe. Then, anytime you are shooting that scene, your breakdown will list exactly what you need to bring.

Thomas

What Rok says is right. Just break down the script. When you're doing the schedule, make sure you do those costume notes at the same time. I also suggest doing the same for props, equipment, extras all at the same time if you don't have enough people to cover these tasks from the appropriate departments.

Back