Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 07-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #1
Fredke
Basic Member

Question How much light do I need ?

Hello.

An aspiring Youtuber, I need to buy some lighting.

How many lumen (if that's the relevant unit) would I need in order to film myself standing 3m (10ft) from the light, my back to a window on a sunny day, and still be decently lit from head to waist ?

I intend to buy flicker-free dimmable LED gear, unless advised otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Fredke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
AcousticAl
Basic Member

It takes a lot of light to compete with the sun. Does the window have to be in the background?

You can use the light coming in through the window as your key light if you have a decent background the other direction. If it’s a pretty open room with lots of glass and lots of light coming in, you may not need that much light. Both of those options kinda suck when it gets cloudy or dark outside, though.

You just don’t need as much light if you aren’t trying to tame the window in the background unless you’re able to knock the window’s level down with ND gel or a scrim. If you’re absolutely committed to the window in the background, you’ll need a fairly powerful light. Look at the Aputure Light Storm C300D or the Intellytech F-165. The plus side to the window in the back is that it does provide your backlight. Get the light with a softbox (sold separately) and then grab a large 5-in-1 reflector with a stand and holder to bounce your key a little as a fill on the other side of your face.

Last edited by AcousticAl; 07-12-2018 at 07:17 AM.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Fredke
Basic Member

Thank you. The C300D is way over my budget, but the F-165 could fit if I squeeze my wallet a little bit.

The room is big and open only on one side, making it too dark most of the time. It is a music studio, and I'd like to be able to film myself at every station, which means sometimes in front of a window. I'd rather not have to dress the windows, for a more more spontaneous grab of the camera (and spotlight) when I feel like recording. Of course, a simple solution would be to close the curtains, but it would be a pity since the view is splendid. Note that we're not talking about having the sun in the frame, but a sunlit landscape in the Background. (Well, sometimes sunlit - it is Belgium after all ;-))

Last edited by Fredke; 07-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredke View Post
Note that we're not talking about having the sun in the frame, but a sunlit landscape in the Background. (Well, sometimes sunlit - it is Belgium after all ;-))
Right, but any daylight outside the window is going to need some firepower for an interior foreground or the window will blow out and the sunlit landscape will be of no use.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Fredke
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
Right, but any daylight outside the window is going to need some firepower for an interior foreground or the window will blow out and the sunlit landscape will be of no use.
Exactly. I'd like the sky to be blue (whenever blue), not white.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

Wow. Well, it depends as there is a significantly cheaper option. How about tungstens? Massive bang for your buck and 2000w will just about compensate for the sun.

A cheap, Chinese 2,000w blonde will cost you 100 and a used stand around 50.

The bulb will cost you around 10 and make sure you buy Osrams.

This is waaayyyy cheaper than LEDs where the absolute cheapest equivalents to tungstens (which have a green cast) will cost 2 or 3 times as much.
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Gel the window with neutral density gel. If the light is extreme you'll want to stop it down.

ND3 (0.3) – takes away 1 stop of light = -1 F-Stop
ND6 (0.6) – takes away 2 stops of light = -2 F-Stop
ND9 (0.9) – takes away 3 stops of light = -3 F-Stop

indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
gorillaonabike
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
Gel the window with neutral density gel. If the light is extreme you'll want to stop it down.

ND3 (0.3) takes away 1 stop of light = -1 F-Stop
ND6 (0.6) takes away 2 stops of light = -2 F-Stop
ND9 (0.9) takes away 3 stops of light = -3 F-Stop

Great solution...
gorillaonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

The "Coke" Solution is because gels are not adhesive and it uses the sugars, hmm maybe Sprite is better because clear but for a YouTube studio it's perfect will stay up and can remove when u want and Windex will clean it off.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Smoking Lizard
Basic Member

Just buy a cheap softbox kit off E-Bay, if you don't have one.

Place two softboxes in front of you. Arrange them however you like. Maybe place two on one side to give your face some contrast. Or just put one on each side to light evenly.

Then hold a gray card against your chest and set aperture against that. Remember, if you're shooting 30FPS to use a 1/60 shutter.

The light from the window may be blown out, but it sounds like that's the effect you're shooting for.
Smoking Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Lizard View Post
Just buy a cheap softbox kit off E-Bay, if you don't have one.
Beware cheap softbox kits from eBay.

Cheap tungsten softboxes are fire hazards. Cheap fluorescent sofbox kits have nasty green or magenta shifts and may flicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Lizard View Post
The light from the window may be blown out, but it sounds like that's the effect you're shooting for.
He’s said specifically that he wants the camera to be able to see the view outside the window. That brings us back to more light power, gelling the windows, and/or both.