• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is there a way to get rid of this sun effect?

It happens at 1:44 into the movie example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yb4npSI5rk

I have had the same problem on my camera when sunlight bounces off of shiny objects and creates that smear, such as bouncing off the car in the video. Any way to get rid of it, or does it matter? A lot of movies do not have it, so I am guessing it's preferred that it doesn't show.

Thanks.

Get yourself some Polarizers. That "sun effect" (flare) is ultimately the same thing as glare on a window you're trying to shoot through.

Or better yet, plan your shot(s) to not involve random crap like show in the footage linked. Hang a flag or silk overhead to block out, or diffuse light to prevent a flare.

There are any number of solutions for this -- as with most other aspects of filmmaking. Use your brain, be resourceful, and figure out a viable solution for yourself & your team/crew/etc.

That's what filmmaking is -- compromise, collaboration, and problemsolving. :D

I'm not seeing anything odd... the glinting highlights are a bit intense, but for this style of film-making I wouldn't even bother about it..

If your talking about a blue haze thing.... iv seen that in my own work and even hollywood feature films...

Stacking filters etc on lenses can lead to other anomalies.. like upside down ghost shadows.. its the angle between the light source and the lens. in the case of bright highlights like the car glints, the glints become light sources and hence you get the haze thing...

Do you understand how a polarized filter could fix this? If not, research it. Its fundamental to photography, we cant skip the fundamentals.

Yep I understand. I have used a polarizer for fixing reflections on windows, but I wasn't aware it could do this as well. I will use it, thanks! If it casts, shadows then I will do test, and see what's best. Thanks.

Back