An Open Letter To Harmonica44

To Harmonica44 and to IndieTalk,

I recently got a reprimand – and very rightly so – from the moderators of this wonderful forum. And this is a wonderful forum. Considering what happens on many other forums, the degree of politeness here is amazing even when we strongly disagree. The recent discussions in the silent film thread between MiniJames and APE are an example. Despite very strongly held opinions, they continued to debate with courtesy and intelligence. (It was also quite educational.)

So I want to offer a very sincere and heartfelt apology to our good friend, Harmonica44. I have been very, very hard on you, and I am very, very sorry.

And I am also not sorry. H44, old buddy, you took it like a man. You didn’t bitch, you didn’t gripe, you kept asking and asking and coming back for more. I admire you for that. You are very, very persistent, and you apparently work very hard. It told me a lot about you.

I am in some ways a teacher, and good teachers push, poke, prod, cajole, insult, make us uncomfortable, make us reassess, and, of course, encourage us. But I am very frustrated with you, H44; we’ve given you all the knowledge that you need, but somewhere along the line, my friend, when it comes to sound, you just don’t seem to get it; hence my frustration and my harsh words. So please take the following in the positive spirit in which it is intended.

It’s all about passion and talent. We here at IndieTalk can’t tell you WHAT to do, we can only tell you HOW to do it. The essence of most problems are very similar, as are the solutions. But you have to apply the knowledge that you have accumulated to new and unique situations.

Let’s take your recent campfire thread as an example. You don’t THINK like a soundie; sound does not seem to be instinctual with you.

You have knowledge.

You have a recording kit.

You have a script with a campfire scene.

Your first QUESTION was “how do I protect my equipment.”

As a natural born instinctive soundie your first REACTION should have been, “Oh crap! Campfires are effing NOISY!”

When you get to the script discussions with the director the first thing you should say when you get to the campfire scene is something like “Campfires are very noisy and fire noise, no matter how little there might be, is really tough to cut the together smoothly once you’re in audio post.” The discussion then becomes how to reduce – and at best, eliminate – a noise source using your knowledge/experience as a basis for your recommendations to the director. Resolving the noise issues goes a long way to resolving the equipment safety and personal safety issues.

When the director makes their decision – raging bonfire, small cook fire, CGI fire or any of a million variations thereof - you tell him/her the sound quality they can expect. You inform her/him of the safety issues. You offer other options like renting lavs and have a good ballpark figure. And you write it all down in your sound log to cover your ass. But it’s not your ultimate decision; that belongs to the director. You told him/her what the issues are and s/he made the compromises.

Once you get on set you finally get a chance to see and assess the actual situation for the first time. You have to use your knowledge and experience to react fast. When the director and DP start on framing, YOU are the one who is supposed to think, “Okay, all I’ve got I’ve got a shotgun and a hyper, how do I do this?

1. I’m going to be close to fire – SAFETY.

2. I’m going to be close to fire – NOISY.”

You do the best that you can under the given circumstances. There are many external forces beyond your control from preproduction through the shoot, and they can change very rapidly. YOUR job is to adapt to all of those external forces, capturing the best sound that you can within the scope of the situation and your skills & assets, and to let others know what’s going on sonically.

YOU should be the one who thinks of where and how you position yourself to get the mic in as close as possible. YOU are the one to see an opportunity for a plant mic. YOU should be the one who tells the director how good or bad the sound is right now given the framing limitations. YOU should be the one to say, “We’ve got a hum” or a buzz, or traffic, or a plane, or any of a thousand other things that you are supposed to hear and tell the director. YOU ask for the time to fix what you can, or YOU let him/her know there’s not much that can be done and s/he will have to live with it. YOU should be the one to tell the director “It’s roomy” or hollow or churchy or... Your job is to KNOW what to do given your own skills, the limitations of the budget, the schedule, your equipment, etc., etc., etc. YOU are the one to take all of the sonic initiatives.

However, the director is the one who makes all of the final decisions and you have no choice but to work within and around those decisions. You did your job - you told the director the sound would be good, fair, bad or horrible, you offered possible solutions to fair, bad or horrible, the director said no (or yes) and that’s that. If the director has made the decision that sound is not as important as the visuals in that shot, or s/he wants to split the difference between great sound and great picture, that is not your choice. Your job is to provide options. The director will take those suggestions or NOT take those suggestions. And it may indeed sound like crap, but that’s not your choice and there’s nothing you can do about it. And while we all want to do better, we all must to bow to the immediate circumstances.

But if you want to do sound you have to LISTEN. You have to know and understand instinctively and automatically what you are hearing. When you’re a soundie the second your headphones go on you should be going “Oh crap, we’ve got a 60 cycle hum!” Or whatever the noise may be. I get it, you’re just starting out, but the second your cans (headphones) go on and you start hearing through the mic you should be identifying whatever you are hearing. If you don’t know what it is, you track it down. See if there’s a way to fix it with what you have on hand. You have the knowledge, now adapt your available assets and do the best that you can. IT IS NOT GOING TO BE PERFECT. IT IS NEVER GOING TO BE PERFECT. But you’ve got to remember it for next time. Then on the next shoot it’s “Oh, last time I heard that it was a _____. What’s like that around here? How did I fix it (or not) last time?”

If you were a natural instinctive soundie your campfire thread should have been more along the lines of (in more polite terms and in more detail):

“My moron of a director wants a raging bonfire, wants to do only wide shots, and I can’t change his effing mind. There’s a really good chance it’ll be too hot for me to be between the fire and the five actors. I can probably boom one or two actors from one end or the other, and maybe I can get a plant mic in there somewhere, but I’ll never get them all. And they don’t have the budget to rent wireless lavs. Far from perfect, I know. Is there anything I haven’t thought of?”

Now, maybe you’re not an aural person and sound isn’t for you. That’s okay; I’m not a visuals guy. I’m not an “original” creative person either. I was a pretty damned good musician, but I can’t write original music or lyrics to save my life; the Lord knows I try – and fail miserably. But I can sure enhance the hell out of someone else’s work.

Harmonica, you have a lot of drive and ambition, but I think that sound may not be for you. I could be wrong; I don’t know. Only you can answer that question.

So, here we go… I think that you’ve spread yourself much too thin; sound, cinematography, acting, writing, and more. There’s too much data, too much process and not enough passion. You need to take a really good hard look deep inside yourself and find out what you are truly passionate about. Put all of your focus there. Live it. Love it. Let it become a part of you. Let it become that cruel demanding mistress that consumes your soul. It will be good for you.

You want to be in film. But WHY do you want to be in film? What, Harmonica44, not relying on the opinions of anyone else, from deep inside of you, is the most important aspect of filmmaking to you?

Maybe your passion isn’t even filmmaking. But find something that you are truly, deeply passionate about. Do nothing but that one single thing. From there it’s all about discipline and ambition, which you seem to have in spades. Find your true passion, no matter what it is. I think that you will go far, because, once you find out what your passion is, your perspective changes; you will INSTINCTIVELY know WHAT you want to do. Then all you need to do is find out HOW to do it. And, once you find where your true talent is, you will absorb the HOW to the point where the HOW becomes a part of your natural instinctive reactions.

Again, I hope that you take all of this in the positive way that it is intended.

And once again, I am sorry for my harsh words and anything else that may have offended you. But, as your teacher, I will continue to beat you up.

I admire you and wish you well.

Very sincerely,

Bob Kessler
Alcove Audio Productions

Last edited:
Problem solving is one of those skills that isn't really taught. It requires a creative mind, confidence and persistence.

We know H44 has persistence, so he's 1/3 of the way there.
Next step is the confidence.. h44 relies too much on other peoples opinions and answers

I have a lot of respect for you handling this like this, Alcove. I understood where both parties were coming from in the fire thread - And ultimately, I do understand your frustration.

I also have some respect for H44 - Because he's a frequent addition to discussions here, and I admire that he does seem to be out doing what he's asking about, which is more than can be said for many of us, sometimes!

I think there is a place for easy questions on this forum - the Newbie section. However, I do concur that even there, it helps everyone involved if people fully troubleshoot before coming to us, that way we can help continue that thought process to a valuable conclusion, rather than just holding their hand the whole way through.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if H44 has successfully completed a project/short-film? I've asked him this several times and he hasn't responded to the inquiry

persistence

I'm not sure this is the right word.

it helps everyone involved if people fully troubleshoot before coming to us

You know, it's not even that which annoys me with his posts. While I don't want to go kicking h44 while he's down, he either enjoys watching the world burn around him or fails basic observation and common sense. For instance, "How do you do this?" and then it's "Oh, I forgot, this restriction". Now waste heaps of time and "Oh, but this is also a consideration".

He is just not made for any role that requires any problem solving. It's not a bad thing, just some people aren't made for it.

Does anybody know if H44 has successfully completed a project/short-film

I'm fairly sure he hasn't.

Does anybody know if H44 has successfully completed a project/short-film? I've asked him this several times and he hasn't responded to the inquiry

I've seen a few bits and pieces by H44. One of them was genius funny and my partner and I laughed ourselves stupid. Really, really good - a real natural talent for comedy and my partner told me she hadn't seen anything that funny in ages.

I complimented H44 on just how he really made me laugh and he told me it wasn't supposed to be funny. It was a piece from a horror short... :blush:

Still, if someone has a natural talent, they should go with it and he'd organized cameras, actors, props, a decent location - the works. It was funny enough that it even made me think he is a 'real' film maker who'd shot loads of stuff and is trolling the forum for a laugh.

I've seen a few bits and pieces by H44. One of them was genius funny and my partner and I laughed ourselves stupid. Really, really good - a real natural talent for comedy and my partner told me she hadn't seen anything that funny in ages.

I complimented H44 on just how he really made me laugh and he told me it wasn't supposed to be funny. It was a piece from a horror short... :blush:

Still, if someone has a natural talent, they should go with it and he'd organized cameras, actors, props, a decent location - the works. It was funny enough that it even made me think he is a 'real' film maker who'd shot loads of stuff and is trolling the forum for a laugh.

That's APE's theory. He called him out on it during one thread.

Do you know what thread you saw it in, or do you know his youtube/vimeo account?

He's made a short film that's roughly 15-minutes long, and that's no small feat. With much cajoling, he briefly screened it here on IT, though he left out the controversial ending. I happened to be able to see the full version, it in all it's glory, just before he took it down from youtube. I also saw some raw footage from the shoot, with MULTIPLE takes of the same shot, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't choose to use one of those youtube downloaders to save the file, cuz it's one of the greatest behind-the-scenes videos I've ever seen. And that's all I have to say about that.

I also used to be very hard on H44, because he's kind of asked for it. Eventually, I just grew tired of it, and have chosen to simply ignore his posts, as one Zen one long ago recommended.

I ignore his posts as well, but I'm curious to see his work, especially if you guys are raving about it

I'm curious to see his response to this.

But honestly, I can't tell if he is either purposely ignoring this thread or really hasn't seen it.

Considering what happens on many other forums, the degree of politeness here is amazing even when we strongly disagree. The recent discussions in the silent film thread between MiniJames and APE are an example. Despite very strongly held opinions, they continued to debate with courtesy and intelligence. (It was also quite educational.)

Thanks man!

I think this was a very great post that was not only the right thing to do in the situation, but as with all of your posts was also very helpful in general. Although I don't reply much to your posts because I'm not into sound and don't ask questions about sound, I've always noticed that you were a great teacher here on IndieTalk, and I read your posts and learn a lot even though I don't reply (oh and once you helped me choose what microphone to buy!).

I love how harsh this was yet also how helpful it was, that's our Uncle Bob!

I especially liked this part of your post:
So, here we go… I think that you’ve spread yourself much too thin; sound, cinematography, acting, writing, and more. There’s too much data, too much process and not enough passion. You need to take a really good hard look deep inside yourself and find out what you are truly passionate about. Put all of your focus there. Live it. Love it. Let it become a part of you. Let it become that cruel demanding mistress that consumes your soul. It will be good for you.

You want to be in film. But WHY do you want to be in film? What, Harmonica44, not relying on the opinions of anyone else, from deep inside of you, is the most important aspect of filmmaking to you?

Maybe your passion isn’t even filmmaking. But find something that you are truly, deeply passionate about. Do nothing but that one single thing. From there it’s all about discipline and ambition, which you seem to have in spades. Find your true passion, no matter what it is. I think that you will go far, because, once you find out what your passion is, your perspective changes; you will INSTINCTIVELY know WHAT you want to do. Then all you need to do is find out HOW to do it. And, once you find where your true talent is, you will absorb the HOW to the point where the HOW becomes a part of your natural instinctive reactions.

Because it really shows how you want H44 to succeed where he belongs, and in fact this part of your post makes me think about myself a lot too, and I'll keep this in mind as I'm in an important part of my life where I have to make some of these important decisions myself!

Thanks for this post, and I hope that H44 reads it and learns from it just as we have all learned from you in several ways!

Oh Hey, I didn't see this post till now. Thanks Alcove.

I did actually take what you said positively. I had no idea you were reprimanded for something you posted towards me.

I know I can make people impatient, especially Alcove, and I do not mean to! I do have a lot of ambition and passion. I do feel like my ass is in the line while trying to break in and make an impression, and get good results under my belt. I want to do the most things right as I can which is why I ask a lot of questions on here. I never really took offense to Alcove's comments, maybe just some of the sarcasm way before, but I took it with a grain of salt, and know he means to help.

In fact, Alcove, you have given me really great advice and have been really helpful and for that I thank you. It means a lot all the help that I have gotten and I thank you and others for understanding.

When it comes to sound, it is really not my passion in filmmaking, I just find myself doing it a lot cause people ask me. An aspiring DP who wanted me last week for his project told me, that I am the best man he knows in the city for it. Not that that's saying much, that's just the best him and everyone else can seem to find. I met one guy and then he spread the word to others, and now they ask me.

I want to get experience by making connections and working on projects, and this seems to be the best way for me, or my ticket in so far. So that's why I have been asking questions in that area, when it comes to other people's project limitations, but also my own as well where I have to do it. No one else into filmmaking is really interested in tackling the sound area, and they are a lot more about camera and lighting.

My real passion is acting and directing. I would like to stick to mainly those two things, but like a lot of people on here, I have to take on other tasks as well, until I find more people wanting to work with me, after I have proven myself, or whatever I end up doing to get that.

One of the reasons why I am probably not be catching on, as fast as other filmmakers is because I also have autism. But I will not let that stop me from trying my best, I honestly have enough faith that I think I have a shot that's worth it.

I never really wanted to do anything else. I have tried choosing other career paths for about six years after high school, but they never made me happy or fulfilled. This is just something I feel I must do, even though my friends, family and fiance support me to a degree, but in the end they say it's a waist of time and money if you go to far.

Thanks for understanding and commenting everyone. And thank you very much Alcove. I know you are sorry but maybe you shouldn't be. I am honestly not sure. Maybe I was over-inquiring and asking too much, maybe not. But thank you and to everyone else for the help and understanding. THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Maybe I was over-inquiring and asking too much, maybe not. But thank you and to everyone else for the help and understanding. THANK YOU.

I don't think that is the takeaway here, honestly. I think Alcove's frustration lies in the thought process by which you've posted in the past. It's not a quantity issue, I think I speak for most users here when I say that I love the amount of participation, feedback and good things that come from active users. That's great - I think it's the way you've gone about asking those questions in the past. What Alcove is getting at, is that your past inquiries didn't seem to have been thought through at all, no troubleshooting beforehand - you seem to just enter and ask a question and expect us to work through it for you. I think the takeaway from this thread is to creatively and thoughtfully troubleshoot your problems - It saves us ten steps in aiding you when the beginning steps of working out a problem have already begun, rather than us essentially controlling that process. Troubleshoot, and narrow your questions down based on the knowledge you already have. Like Alcove said, your takeaway from the fire thread should have been much different if it had been thought through.

Just my two cents - Good to see you took this positively, as intended.

One of the reasons why I am probably not be catching on, as fast as other filmmakers is because I also have autism.

Something I suspected for a long time already: thinking in black and white rules. Hardly able to improvise on your own. Obsessing about tiny details, before mastering the basic stuff. Asking the same question (about shooting in the dark) in different shapes over and over again.... :P

Don't let it stop you.
But try to make it a rule to improvise and try things.

Back