I was just contacted by an Agency

I'm sure nothing will come of it, but I was contacted by a company in LA that does management and production. They wanted to schedule a conference call with me. The gist was they are "always looking for new talent" and had seen the Island. They appear to be small, but also appear to be legit.

I don't want to name them until I've talked to them, but I'll update after the call tomorrow. Even if nothing does come of it, nice to get an email with that big a surprise in it.

Honestly, it's unrealistic for the very first thing anyone else reads to be 100% square on with what resources they have and the bias/spin they want to put on a piece.
For really.

You could take whatever script version they finally settle on (God willing), go back to them in five years or even five months and they'd wanna change some stuff.

That's just how things roll.
Not a prob.
Looks good so far.
I'm tickled pink for you.

"Please! Please! Please! Please!... "
fingers-crossed.jpg

Me too.
It's a looooooong shot for sure.

Starting with the fact I am not really a screenwriter. I mean I have written several shorts and and first drafts of a couple of features, but out of necessity, not because I am driven to write. Add in that they are a small agency, who knows how much success they'll have selling it. Just trying to not get my hopes too high.

I sent them a 23 page 1st Act last week, haven't heard anything from them. Could be a bad sign, but the office also could have been closed the latter part of the week for passover. If I don't hear anything by the middle of this week I'll start to think they have lost interest.

I was deep in finishing off the kickstarter for The Kohlman Files right as this was all going down so it took me nearly a month to get them that Act 1 so may have dropped the ball in that respect.

Last edited:
I've been a bit ambivalent about the whole thing from the word go really. Writing "Spec" stuff is really not my forte. What I write is what I write good or bad (and plenty of both I am sure). Trying to squeeze it into somebody else's expectations is not something I have a lot of success with I'm afraid. We'll see how it plays out.

Last edited:
This sounds very cool, Gonzo! I'm usually more of a glass half empty kind of a guy, but I feel like encouraging you to look on the bright side of what they're asking you to do. Hopefully, this will go ahead, it'll get the green light, and you'll have at least a writer credit for the feature adaptation of the short you created. Not bad! Or, are they going to ask you to do more than write it?

Provided they're legit and above board and some version of a best case scenario does happen and it gets made etc, I should think that it will not seal your unhappy fate as a reluctant writer. :P Maybe it'd just be like you've said you've already been doing: not writing for the love writing, but because you had to do it in order to have something to film. Sounds a lot like what you're already doing with your shorts. Uh, sorry to be repetitive. And with the added professional cred' this could give you, hopefully it will only place you in a better position to do more of what you really want to do...like perhaps direct something someone else writes.

Although...I've always thought writer/director has a nice ring to it, to say the least.

And, I gotta think that even if no film comes from this, hey, good experience building, right? And, even if they end up passing on this one, they have your name, your resume, they already like your film...maybe something else will click from this down the road.

Also, I think it was Wheatgrinder who recently said something like: networking: just do it! Paraphrasing, of course.

Rootin for ya!

Back