• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Neat Trick

Yeah I saw this a while ago and have been using it ever since I got my fluid-head tripod :) Works real well, with the unavoidable 'stutter' and the beginning. Still way better than the tai chi movement way of getting that smooth shot.

I always keep a second hair binder for specifically this purpose in my camera case. I love this technique :)

There's something to be said though for taking the time to practice to make smooth camera movements without... I see so little actual technique practice being done, the focus being on the production rather than the skillset. There's a video series called "Stories from below the line" (?) and Keifer Sutherland mentioned that he had interest in Camera Operation at one point (growing up around movies as he did -- famous dad and what not) and the camera op said he needed to practice doing figure 8's with the gear driven camera head.

Practice will make our productions more polished and competitive in festivals. So use this technique, but don't count on it to cure your woes as the "commercial" seems to think. This is a single technique, but not a skill set, still just a tool in the box, you have to buy the toolbox :)

another neat trick is to use your tripod on TWO legs for PUSH in and PULL out shots..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nlpf8vCQig

I like this guys videos. Did you see the one with the light ring(whatever its called)> He has some pretty good vids. I also like his comparison of the fly-cam vs the merlin.

Back