• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How Do I Get Rid of Shadows?

I am trying to light a basement for use as the main set of my debut movie and I can't get rid of the shadows. Its in a corner and I've moved the lights every way imaginable and have been using clamp lights, soft white bulbs, and fluorescents. I keep getting shadows one way or the other, I even tried putting a light in the corner, meaning 360 degrees of light and still there's shadows. I'm wondering if I'm having a problem distributing th light evenly. I really want a sense of surrealism and disorienting as to what time it is outside, but the shadows are ruining that effect. Please help.

dizxfilms.com

If you are doing a 3 point lighting, then one of your lights is too bright or the other too dark. When you're facing the chair, the light on the left is way brighter or closer causing the shadow. Add more light to the right, or dim the light on the left.

i
Ernest Worthing: I was referring to the soft lights as in the hue, if I said "warm lighting" would that make more sense to you?

Yup. Warm lighting makes sense to me.

There's warm vs cool light.

and

Soft vs hard light.

Not to be used interchangeably because they mean different things.

As for your continuing issue, try what the guys above suggested. And if you use soft lighting, your shadows will be more subtle and less defined. Are you using anything to diffuse your light?

Could you post a pic of your actual setup?

Goodluck :)

It seems like diffusion is most likely what you're looking for. Diffusion will not only soften the light that hits the subject, but significantly lessen the shadows that the subject casts. Lots of things can be used for diffusion, bedsheets, table cloths, silk from the fabric store, shower curtain. But two things are really important with diffusion material. You need make sure they are color neutral, picks any tint they have will transfer into the light. Or you at least need to be aware of any color shift they are causing so you can correct for it. The other thing is to know that any material that is the right amount of translucent to soften the light effectively, while still letting it through, will take about 1-2 stop of light out of your situation. So, if the lights you are using are already bordering on not bright enough, diffusion will only make it worse.

Softness of light is one of two main thing that will help. The other is getting your subject further from the wall. Due to the light fall off properties related to the inverse square law, the light-to-subject/light-to-background ratio will have a huge effect on how the background shadows. To more space between you have between your subject and your background, the more you end up with two independent planes of lighting. Then if you add in more light that is specific for the background, you have complete control over how you want the light on each to look.

DOing the thrre point lighting or just adding in fill, is generally a good idea, but I feel like in this situation with hard light sources and close quarters, that it would really actually just result in have more shadows on the floor and other walls. With hard light, it's really hard for fill light to take care of the shadow. With a soft light source, the shadow won't have a hard edge like it will from a hard source. Since the shadows is more of a graduated transition, it doesn't take much fill light to significantly lessen the shadow. But with hard light, it's a razor cut line from shadows to not shadow. So that line will always be there. You can add fill to make the contrast ratio less, but the transition line will always be present.

Your best bet is definitely to try and soften the light source.

The other thing is that, depending on what the scene is, you can just leave it like that. If your scene is supposed to be a dark basement, that its what they look like. It's usually a single, hard, high angle light source, that has deep shadows and hard transitions. Nothing wrong with that if that is what the scene is.

Keep experimenting, and good luck!

Cheers,
Ben

Personally I think that shadows are essential for creepiness. I believe the shadows are more important than the highlights. For a creepy feel... your images look over lighted to me. You may be over thinking this.

If you would like to see how I have lighted some of my "creepy" stills, here are some links to the images on my website. They may or may not represent what you are trying to accomplish. The first link is probably closer to what you are looking for. If you have any questions just let me know.

Please be aware that some of the links lead to images that contain nudity. 18+

http://visual-ramblings.com/artwork/381496.html

http://visual-ramblings.com/artwork/150080_puerco_de_asesino.html

http://visual-ramblings.com/artwork/400566_thief_of_dreams.html

http://visual-ramblings.com/artwork/316579.html

Back