• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

HV20 DoF test w/ wide angle lens

Nice. Which wide angle adapter, and how much? I haven't had much luck with mine, but I didn't spend much. I've got a lot of chromatic aberrations in my wide images due to the cheap glass, but I didn't notice any in yours.

And thanks for giving the ol' "rack focus from an ordinary video camera" crowd some much needed luv.

Joe, I pretty much used basic export setting in FCE. See here:

5221501044_5f832dd161.jpg

5220903073_b1251c24dd.jpg

I did DE-INTERLACE the clips in the sequence using the de-interlace filter instead of de-interlacing when exporting.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Nice work! I like your sense of composition, especially the razor wire shot.

Great example of how distance to subject effects focus. Care to share with the class how close you were to the foreground objects? :D

David, that's funny you ask b/c I brought my Canon PowerShot along to snap some stills of exactly what you're asking for - distance from lens to subject - but I tucked it into a pocket of the camera bag and couldn't find it. With the wide angle lens I could get super close to the foreground object, anywhere between 6 inches and a foot. With some of the shots I was trying to show a few planes of focus, foreground, middle, background...

I do enjoy framing a shot. I'm no DP, but I've had to make due over the years. I'm glad you like the look. I'll be shooting some tests with an actor soon and will post results if they're worth showing.

With the wide angle lens I could get super close to the foreground object, anywhere between 6 inches and a foot. With some of the shots I was trying to show a few planes of focus, foreground, middle, background...

I had a feeling those were pretty close. Thanks for putting images out there that demonstrate the mechanics of focus so well. Distance to subject always changes the numbers faster than other variables, especially at near distances. Complicated to explain, much easier to demonstrate. :D You can see it widening and narrowing as you roll back and forth.

My pleasure. When I shoot pics with the actor I will be sure to snap some stills and make a note how close the camera is. I also wanted to demonstrate the use of a tripod (what's that?) since a good deal (not all) of test footage I see online these days is of the shaky-cam/willy nilly/just-point-and-shoot variety. I find it a treat just to take in a simple static image...

Back