Creating a Youtube channel - Question

Hello guys,

Sorry if this is not on the right section, but most of the searches I've made on the word youtube in the forum belong to these section.

I have an idea for short comedy sketches, 3 min maximum maybe. It's something in the lines of HowToBasic, but obviously a different concept, sometimes with some dialogue. I think it can be funny, so why not?

My question is if I should do the videos also thinking about other and have the dialogue and all the graphics in English, or should I just use my native language and put some English subtitles?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Your target audience will determine which you should do. If your target audience speaks Portuguese then do it in that language. If your target audience is worldwide then perhaps English is your best choice.

If your actors will be more comfortable and open in their native language than YES! Subtitles. If they are fluent in English and you are looking for mass appeal, then also YES! The operative word here is fluent. If they are stiff and thinking about translation, NO!

Hope this helps.

Your target audience will determine which you should do. If your target audience speaks Portuguese then do it in that language. If your target audience is worldwide then perhaps English is your best choice.

Thank you.
I think it's general, I'm not thinking about a specific audience, just what it can be funny for me.
So yes, if any dialogue exists, it's better to have English as an option.

Remember all lives on earth watch YouTube.

Thank you.
Yes, thats why I posted this, it may have a broader audencie, but only if the content is good enough, of course.

If your actors will be more comfortable and open in their native language than YES! Subtitles. If they are fluent in English and you are looking for mass appeal, then also YES! The operative word here is fluent. If they are stiff and thinking about translation, NO!

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
Of course it helps. Well I think it's risky to have them speaking English, even if very little dialogue is there it should be fluent, and I dont think that will be possible. So maybe Portuguese language and English subtitle when editing.

I would do bilingual content overall. You can cater the both the Iberian and English language audiences.

Thank you.
You mean two channels? If I have them speaking in Portuguese with English subtitles, I think it's enough to do that, maybe.

Bilingual would hurt all potential demographics. People want consistency from youtube channels, and if either audience sees that you make content for another one, they'll lose interest

I would do seperate channels. Personally, I don't mind bilingual content as viewer because I know that there are many different audiences out there besides the English market. But good luck.:)

Thank you.
I think it's general, I'm not thinking about a specific audience, just what it can be funny for me.
So yes, if any dialogue exists, it's better to have English as an option.

Thank you.
Yes, thats why I posted this, it may have a broader audencie, but only if the content is good enough, of course.

Thank you.
Of course it helps. Well I think it's risky to have them speaking English, even if very little dialogue is there it should be fluent, and I dont think that will be possible. So maybe Portuguese language and English subtitle when editing.

Thank you.
You mean two channels? If I have them speaking in Portuguese with English subtitles, I think it's enough to do that, maybe.

Subtitles.
In Closed Captions you can add dozens of languages if you want to.
I've got 1 Dutch short with English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish subtitles. And it does help to reach those audiences.

Thank you.

I have another question: Is it too ambitious for me to want to do this short videos in animation? I've never did it before. I know that there are some programs to do it like Goanimate por example, but I'm afraid they can be too basic or limited...or too difficult.

Last edited:
hahaha Uncle Dolan is epic!

Thank you guys. I've tried to test with GoAnimate but I dont think it would work for what I want, and it would be sooo time consuming.

The thing is, my idea includes a talking/moving wood doll...so, you can see how difficult it will be to sort this out.

Back