• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Film student feedback?

Hey guys, I'm a film student in the UK and I'm about to finish University. I recently finished my Dissertation piece titled 'Home' to which I did all the Cinematography and Lighting myself. So far I've only gotten feedback from friends and family who say things like "yeah it looks great" and "that shot looks nice" nothing really helpful and honest.

So, I'm here to ask if anyone out there would take a look at my cinematography album on my page?: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.725771524101605.1073741826.344482655563829&type=3

It's only screenshots for the moment.

Any feedback/ criticisms/ suggestions is much appreciated :)

Thank you!

Ok, where to start.

I try to think negatively and give you that kind of feedback.

In imgur images you could leave more space in framing to the eye sight of the actor. (where the sight points at)

this in pictures 3, 5, 9,

for cinema style you could get more blurry backgrouds, now more or less everything is in focus. Images 1-3 have a nice color correction.

Overall I think that you are good already and you have nice and tight framing style.

I'd agree with itarumaa - that in a few instance the actor is framed dead-centre but looking off-screen - sort of jarrs.

Another thing - in the second and third imgur shots (especially the third), there are quite a few straight lines at slightly off angles (like the light switches on the right). It makes it look as if it isn't lined up properly, even though it obviously is - but for the actor, rather than the set.

Very nice, though. Wide range of stuff - colours, lighting, and mood!

Back