Interior Mental Video

FYI, the title is a made up term I have for what I'm thinking of doing.
I've been building my equipment for the last few months. Have an A77, lighting and soon mounts and cranes. But haven't been able to use ANY of it yet. So I thought of a project I could do to hone my skills and I thought of my love for music. I listen to a lot of ....Odd numbers and when i close my eyes, full fledged music videos play before me.
So my thought is to take these videos, make them to get experience with camera movement, directing, lighting, editing and so forth. Many just so, "Go out and film random stuff." But I wanted my training to be productive and focused.
Would you consider this an effective means to self teach myself video production.

Having more diversity in your skills is never a bad thing, but consider what it is you want to do with those skills once you have them. If you want to make music videos, sure - go ahead with what you're suggesting. If you want to make narrative films, get a script together and film that!

Doing it is only half the effort - make sure also to take in lots of information about your interest. Watch films, music videos, whatever - see how it's been done before and how you can improve on them.

Sure. But the best thing you can do is to film as much as possible. If your method means you're only putting out content every 5 months, then you might want to do projects on the side, and well, film anything you can. Events, music videos, adverts, 30 second sketches, 5 second films, etc. As long as you're staying filmmaking active, you're good.

Back