Opinions on my equipment?

Hey! I am just starting filmmaking and I have done some research and have decided on a list of things to but to get me into it. I am on a tight budget that is under $800 for everything to start. Right now my list is at 750 for everything. I am thinking of going with a Canon T3i. The link below will take you to a spread sheet with everything. If you have any thoughts are recommendations on this list please let me know. I will probably be making action shorts and possibly some sport videos. Thanks!

Josh

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qgjWw0hE1vVrRDKULiHLNKzNuOeTFdCNDGCfRWhdQ28/edit#gid=0

No I don't mean the 35mm. I found something online for $300 that is a 30mm.

Got it, that's the DC, not DG, line. I'd personally still choose one of the other lenses I recommended over that one.

The alzo has been buzzy for me, with an odd cast.

I haven't had any problems with buzzing, but I also haven't bought any of their bulbs for several years. It may well vary from batch to batch.

I recommend buying lens with extended warranties because accidents do happen. You will really feel depressed if an $800 lens slips out of your hands and goes smash on a hard floor.

I imagine you'll be even more depressed when you find out that most extended warranties don't cover damage... that's what insurance is for. Production insurance would cover that but can be expensive; if you're not doing this professionally your homeowners or renters insurance will probably cover it and be pretty cheap. Extended warranties generally aren't worth the cost - and american express & some other cards automatically extended your warranty when you purchase with them. AmEx actually gives you 90 days of loss/damage coverage as well.

I imagine you'll be even more depressed when you find out that most extended warranties don't cover damage... that's what insurance is for. Production insurance would cover that but can be expensive; if you're not doing this professionally your homeowners or renters insurance will probably cover it and be pretty cheap. Extended warranties generally aren't worth the cost - and american express & some other cards automatically extended your warranty when you purchase with them. AmEx actually gives you 90 days of loss/damage coverage as well.

B&H Photo DOES cover damaged lens.

I lent out a DV camera to a friend to film a wrestling video. She returned the camera damaged. My extended warranty was with Best Buy. They sent the camera to Japan for repair. It took 3 months. But, the camera came back good as new.

I have found extended warranties worth every cent. Insurance on equipment has been a waste of money to me. When a crew guy lost a rental of some lighting equipment, I had to pay the rental company with a credit card. The insurance company never reimbursed me.

Last edited:
Back