• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Beginner PC Editing Software

I'm getting ahead of myself here as I haven't shot anything for my short yet :lol:, but I'd like to start seeing what my post-production options are.

I'll be editing on a Lenovo Y500 laptop (Windows 8) with 16 GB RAM, Dual GeForce GT 650M graphics cards, core i7 2.4 GHz processor, 1TB HDD, and a 16 GB SSD.

Maybe Sony Vegas? If I go with that program should I start with Movie Studio or Vegas Pro?

I know there's Adobe Creative Suite and others, but I really don't know too much about them. My editing experience has been limited to Windows Movie Maker....:(

All suggestions are welcome.

Vegas is a good way to get started. Though I wouldn't go with Pro. If you're considering spending that kind of money, might as well go for the best, and for you, I'm inclined to believe that would be Adobe Creative Cloud.

If you want to start out by spending just a little bit of money, Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is a solid piece of software and should last you a pretty long time before you outgrow it.

The film is pretty much no-budget, but for software I'd probably be willing to spend a few hundred or less. I don't want to spend a fortune on tons of features I won't know how to use. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Back