Abstract and old..

Hey guys,

First of all, I would like to say that I'm a total newb when it comes to filming, so bear with me...

I'm a musician and want make some videos to accompany my music. The type of videos i'm thinking of are pretty abstract, for example, dark blurred out colours or close ups of unrecognisable objects... I also want to do some landscape filming, but nothing which is meant to look clear and crisp, but instead rather rough and old.

I'm aiming for something which is seen in this video (starting at 4:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9EkfGrkuEQ

Any idea on how I could achieve this?

I guess my question also is; What equipment/camera should I get? (I have a budget of around 1000 give or take)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Welcome to indietalk.

The sequence you mention was shot on film. In order to recreate that
look you'll need more than a just the camera - you'll need skill and
experience in lenses, exposure and coloring. Things a dedicated director
of photography brings to the project.

Look at the Canon Vixia HF G30
The Panasonic DMC-GH4 is a nice DSLR. You will need lenses.
Out of the box you might consider the Nikon D5300 or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

To get very close to that look find an old super 8 camera and shoot on film.

Last edited:
lol I have a camera that films like that...I don't recommend it. Just getting the footage onto the computer to even begin to edit it, is a complete nightmare.

Here in the states there are labs that will process the films and
do a digital transfer at the same time. Far from a nightmare it's
a wonderful way to get the "old" film look. I highly recommend
learning about film stock and film cameras.

Shooting on film isn't for everyone. In the last 20 years shooting
on film is for almost no one. Anyone under 30 simply has no experience
with film stock. But the footage mobodcubism asked about was shot
on film.

Here in the states there are labs that will process the films and
do a digital transfer at the same time. Far from a nightmare it's
a wonderful way to get the "old" film look. I highly recommend
learning about film stock and film cameras.

Shooting on film isn't for everyone. In the last 20 years shooting
on film is for almost no one. Anyone under 30 simply has no experience
with film stock. But the footage mobodcubism asked about was shot
on film.

Interesting you should say that...I know a guy with the old film cameras. We are part of a photography group together. He has lots of them and has offered to lend me a film camera, and teach me some of his knowledge. I am 30, and I have to say, the offer is VERY tempting. I love the crisp clean look of modern cinema in high definition...and yet, I am drawn to the old film look, and learning that knowledge that is about to be forgotten.

Deep down I know I should be leaping on his offer. I am held back only because of my work hours.

Thanks for the replies!

After thinking about it, I can't see why I shouldn't just give it a go.

I've been offered a "Nizo 6080" super 8 camera which i'l most likely be buying, along with some "KODAK EKTACHROME 64 T". The camera should be able to do time-lapse as well, which i'm very excited to experiment with.

Sure, it seems like quite the hassle compared to filming something digitally. However, I feel as though nothing beats trying out the "real" thing, in order to get those old, grainy looking shots. In terms of price, it seems like you can get super 8 cameras pretty cheap nowadays as well.

Hmm this thread inspired me...I went back to my film guy and asked him to teach me...

I will back peddle from my previous answer saying not to, and change it to ...Absolutely do it!!!

Best of luck mate. Can't wait to see your finished project :)

Back