binaural recording rental cost estimate

so i love the audio from binaural microphones, but i've never had a chance or a reason to record any myself. i now have a project that i'm wanting to start that gives me a reason to use it.

for the audio nerds: do you have any tips when recording binaural audio? how is the process different? also, i don't have the gear, so i'm wondering if they are easy to find as rentals? or are there any good buys that you could link me to?

thanks

Last edited:
You mean this kind of stuff?

slide1.jpg

It can be pricey, even to rent, and you still need a really good mixer and audio recorder.

Yes, you can do it with cheap mics and a cheap recorder, but the idea is the "actuality" of the binaural experience, so a quiet, detailed, transparent mic into transparent mic pres and a high quality AD convertor will sound exponentially better - provided it's all used properly, of course.

You may get better answers on one of the field recording or home recording forums. Binaural recordings have no place in sound-for-picture as binaural is good only for listening in headphones.

It is pretty cool.

exactly! i did some digging in my area, and found a rental house that does one for 200$ and then i would have to rent out the mixer and recorder... that would be acceptable, i'd just like to play with one for a bit before i rent it to get used to it, yknow?

thanks for the thoughts, i'll keep researching

the exactly was referring to the microphone kind, i think it makes for a really cool effect and i have a reason to use it that it will work well in, and i think Alcove was saying that it's not the right choice for capturing dialogue

i think it makes for a really cool effect and i have a reason to use it that it will work well in, and i think Alcove was saying that it's not the right choice for capturing dialogue

Alcove is correct: 1. It will only (potentially) make for a cool effect if everyone listens on headphones. 2. Binaural mics are only used, as far as I'm aware, for recording live (music) performances. I can't think what reason you would have to use them, with the possible exception of certain types of music videos.

G

Back