Help with Producer memo deal

Does this part of the agreement include HBO or Netflix deals? Thanks in advance. Bruce D.

(b) Fees: (ii) Participation: Two Percent (2%) of the One Hundred Percent (100 %) of the Production Company's gross revenues from theatrical box office and television and ancillary licensed rights sales in the United States and Canada, reducible by the break-even amount of investor recoupment not to exceed Two Hundred Thousand ($200,000.00).

Does this part of the agreement include HBO or Netflix deals? Thanks in advance. Bruce D.

(b) Fees: (ii) Participation: Two Percent (2%) of the One Hundred Percent (100 %) of the Production Company's gross revenues from theatrical box office and television and ancillary licensed rights sales in the United States and Canada, reducible by the break-even amount of investor recoupment not to exceed Two Hundred Thousand ($200,000.00).
Yes. It includes all deals.

But since I haven't read the entire contract that's just a guess.

I guess not helpful. But HBO and Netflix are most likely "television and ancillary licensed rights sales".

It's virtually impossible to tell with this little information, which is sometimes typical of deal memos. There wouldn't perhaps be a definitions appendix? Streaming can come under new media. It's not necessarily included as ancillary.

As much as I've done some contract law a side function of an old job, you need to talk with an entertainment attorney. As an educated guess, you're not going to see a nickel from this deal, but it might be the usual "good experience" and "exposure" though you could potentially get a decent upside if it goes gangbusters.

Depending on what type of producer you're talking about, they usually get paid as a percentage of the budget (or a flat fee with smaller budgets like this). Clauses like yours are usually a performance bonus, often as a percentage of net profits.

Back