• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Stairwell Fight Scene

Camera: Nikon 3400
Editing Software: Final Cut Pro X

Serving as a demonstrative sample for similar scenes for future projects, this is the first fight scene I have filmed after doing research on dynamic angles and stunts. I also acted as the stunt coordinator for the actors. I strived to achieve a brutal, somewhat hellish depiction of violence, with inspiration from my favorite filmmaker, Quentin Tarantino, and my favorite video game series, Mortal Kombat. There are a few things I noticed in post-editing that I will improve on for future projects: following through with strikes to achieve a more visually drastic blow, adding faux blood, remastering audio a bit, and having actors "sell the shots" more, in regards to taking strikes. Feedback is much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9R7ND0tuM

Not bad, but is this a fight scene or a music video?

Such detailed, helpful advice.

Anyway... I do agree that the music is too much, and a bit distracting.

The sound effects are too much in the mix. They’re too up-front and they don’t have any added reverb to match the stairwell. Plus, with those being most all of the sound that isn’t music, all the other sounds of movement from the actors is missing... everything from footsteps to clothes rustling to breathing. Sound design is absolutely crucial to selling, well, anything at all... but especially fight scenes. This can be a really fun chance to try your hand at Foley.

You’re right about better choreography and having the actors sell the impacts more. But I would avoid “faux” blood, if by that you mean CGI. Blood added in post looks terribly fake. If you’re gonna add it, make it practical. Recruit a makeup artist. Add blood, scrapes, etc. as the fight scene progresses.

Such detailed, helpful advice.

Anyway... I do agree that the music is too much, and a bit distracting.

The sound effects are too much in the mix. They’re too up-front and they don’t have any added reverb to match the stairwell. Plus, with those being most all of the sound that isn’t music, all the other sounds of movement from the actors is missing... everything from footsteps to clothes rustling to breathing. Sound design is absolutely crucial to selling, well, anything at all... but especially fight scenes. This can be a really fun chance to try your hand at Foley.

You’re right about better choreography and having the actors sell the impacts more. But I would avoid “faux” blood, if by that you mean CGI. Blood added in post looks terribly fake. If you’re gonna add it, make it practical. Recruit a makeup artist. Add blood, scrapes, etc. as the fight scene progresses.

Thanks for the pointers. I actually contemplated footstep sounds in post production, but the heavy breathing would have been a great addition. I will definitely add that in future productions. The music was implemented for promotional purpose; that can be amended. Regarding "faux" blood, I was referring to actual blood on scene - not CGI. CGI blood almost always looks cheesy, especially when not displayed very promptly. For example, I've noticed some death scenes in the film Saving Private Ryan used CGI blood splatter effects, but they were very quick as to not convey a rather cartoony effect. Your suggestion of adding blood & scrapes as the scene progresses would be terrific as well. I will be more attentive to every exact movement the actors make to produce a more crucially personal combat sequence.

Well... it's certainly a start. Eye contact is key when it comes to fight scenes. You need to have the hits cross the camera more. Meaning they need to extend their strikes past the persons face. Aim the punches more towards the side of the face /above the shoulders. It'll cross camera better that way. Same with the headbutt. Also, keep your actors busy in between attacks by having them move around a little bit kind of like how boxers are constantly moving around ready to strike.

This clip has some good and not so good examples of what I'm talking about but the idea it all the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwbjxq19rok

Back